FORUMS: list search recent posts

Processing interview vocals, recommended steps, sequences and best practices

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

jim bachalo
Processing interview vocals, recommended steps, sequences and best practices
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:33:32 am

Hi
I'm a total audio novice when it comes to apply effects, restoring and mixing audio.
I have some vocals recorded with an inexpensive lav for a short film I am shooting.
I also used a stereo mic to record some room ambience.
I know I need to remove some of the noise floor, and apply some EQ as well as mix with the stereo ambience.
What are the recommended steps? Should noise reduction come first?
What about compression? If using compression, which plugin is best for spoken word vocals?

Should normalize ever be used?
Any feedback appreciated!

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Processing interview vocals, recommended steps, sequences and best practices
on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:25:28 am

Probably best to pick up a book like http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Audio-Second-Concepts-Practices/dp/0240522222/... because there is so much mixed information online.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/ isn't a bad resource either.

Generally, when looking at a dialog track, I do the following:
-- Look at the general structure. Is there a lot of noise or a little noise, are there steep peaks in volume or does the speaker use even diction and volume, and so on.

-- If the audio is really chewed up (audio is close to the noise floor) I'll normalize the peaks to zero so I have some working room for noise removal, compression and re-normalization.

--Depending on how heavy you process, do noise reduction, eq, multiband compression, and then reverb. There are no hard and fast rules but it's a signal chain I like. I prefer to do everything that affects volume heavily before compression... you'll also find people who like to compress the signal during recording (mostly in a controlled studio setting).

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
Re: Processing interview vocals, recommended steps, sequences and best practices
on Feb 13, 2012 at 2:03:52 pm

Thanks!
Yes I've found that compressors in Audition are your best friend. Also I prefere NOT to normalize but to amplify instead because normalizing 2 different tracks with different peaks will give you 2 tracks with different average volumes.
Also need to keep reminding myself to boost the gain as much as possible without clipping when I record to help minimize the noise floor.

I've gotten some quite amazing results using only an inexpensive lav, removing noise, adding some compression eq and reverb to bring back some room presence.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]