FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor Presets in Audition, similar to "Male 1" or "Narrator" in Soundbooth

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Gross
Compressor Presets in Audition, similar to "Male 1" or "Narrator" in Soundbooth
on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:07:10 pm

I just upgraded to Production Premium CS5.5. I used to use Soundbooth just for cleaning up background noise and adding a little guts to VO's.

There was an effect preset where you could add a couple of things to somebody's voice to make it sound nice. The talent was good and the recording was good, this would just make it a little more "radioey". I'm pretty sure it can be achieved with the Multiband Compressor but I have no idea how to use that thing.

Do you ever watch Andrew Kramer's video blog posts? I want to do the same thing he does to his voice, but maybe not so much.

If anyone has any ideas or can point me to a tutorial I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Corbin Gross
Photo/Video
SANMAR
Marketing

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Compressor Presets in Audition, similar to "Male 1" or "Narrator" in Soundbooth
on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:39:20 am

It's hard to say not knowing the microphone or the general quality of your narrator's voice but chances are you'll need a mix of parametric eq and multiband compression.

Learn how to sweep; there are plenty of EQ tutorials online, but it amounts to turning up one point on your parametric eq and sweeping through the frequencies as you playback your audio. You can mark down and isolate the frequencies of the narrator you want to emphasize (maybe around 700Hz for a bit of a boom) or tone down (maybe around 3kHz which can kill some harshness) and you can also smooth frequency spikes inherent in the microphone you use.

Then using the compressor, use two. One overall to smooth the peaks of the narrators voice, and the other to fix any amplitude/frequency related issues (maybe you like the boominess, but you want to calm it a bit by just compressing that band of frequencies).

I like these videos. I know you probably aren't mixing music but they highlight good fundamentals.

Factory presets give you an ok idea of how an effect works, but I think you'll get a better result if you take some time to try what I mention out.

Angelo Lorenzo
http://filmsfor.us - Helping you sell your film online

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]