FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please Review This VO Breakdown...

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BorgesPlease Review This VO Breakdown...
by on Jul 24, 2011 at 6:48:09 pm

Afternoon Folks!

I have done a VO mix in Adobe Soundbooth. With the help of an engineer giving me pointers, a few web tutorials, and a little experimenting on my own, I think I've got a pretty good mix I'm happy with. Now, I just want to do a final tweak and develop a "best practices" method for doing these types of VO projects in the future.

Please take a look at this breakdown of my project work flow:

1.Applied Vocal Enhancer - Default
2.Applied Normalize process
3.Appled Reduce Noise process
4.Applied Compressor for Voice - Subtle
5.Applied EQ Graphic: Bass Management
6.Applied Mastering: Hot - Mild
7.Applied Convolution Reverb effect

My first question is, what order should the final work flow be in? I was thinking I should possibly move things like reverb higher in the list and save the mastering step till last. What do you think?

Secondly, please take a look at this screen shot of the before and after.

The first is after I've compressed it (Step 4 above). You'll see that the dynamics seem to even out. However, in the second screen shot they seem to be off balance by the end. Is this normal?

Return to posts index

Chris BorgesRe: Please Review This VO Breakdown...
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 11:06:07 pm

UPDATE:

Upon further investigation into the process, I'm finding that all those high peaks that seems to shoot upward from a generally even waveform is because of sibilance.

I played the wave form back and those peaks ONLY occur during those instances when I'm saying a strong "S" sound.

I already have a vocal enhancer applied early on, which seems not to help to much. Anything I can do to reduce those issues so I can maximize my headroom while lowering those sibilance peaks?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Please Review This VO Breakdown...
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 4:02:40 pm

Hi Chris -

While I don't have it open at the moment, there should be a setting/patch called De-esser, which is made to do just what you need to do - reduce the sibilance of the VO.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]