FORUMS: list search recent posts

Improvements to Scoring in Soundbooth CS5?

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Roh
Improvements to Scoring in Soundbooth CS5?
on Oct 29, 2010 at 8:40:19 pm

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has tried out Soundbooth CS5 for scoring and if there have been any significant improvements since Soundbooth CS3 (the last version I tried).

I've previously used an old version of SonicFire when it came to my scoring needs. I like the simplicity of interface and the variety of pre-set tweaks I could do to the stock music.

The only version of Soundbooth I ever used was CS3. For scoring, I found it to be a bit basic with not alot of variety, and found the interface a bit complicated.

Return to posts index

Andrew Devis
Re: Improvements to Scoring in Soundbooth CS5?
on Oct 30, 2010 at 7:04:43 pm

Hi Philip

I did a tutorial on Free Music in Soundbooth CS4 and CS5 which shows how to find, download and access the music in Soundbooth. To be honest it is a little slow but it is free. The scoring itself is keyframe-able so you can bring the instrument choices they offer in and out in what seems to be step changes. You can also choose from a series of pre-determined lengths for the tracks and do 'live' lenght reductions. However, the problem with that is that sometimes the end will not play 100% as you try and match a length. So, if this happens, I would recommend a fade at the end.

Over all it's ok - not brilliant. There is more music in CS5 than there was in CS4 (don't remember what there was in CS3) and there are lots of sound effects, but my music producer of choice is still SonicFire Pro as you seem to get a quicker, neater and easier way of working. However, you do have to pay for the albums and, if you really want the full editing choices, the full version.

Look up the tutorial to get you started and see what you think. At some time in the future I hope to put up a tutorial on how to edit etc, but it isn't rocket science! LOL

Hope this helps
Andrew

Return to posts index

Phillip Roh
on Nov 1, 2010 at 1:32:25 pm

Hi Andrew, thank you so much for the information! Huge help in me reaching a decision.

Return to posts index

Scott Evans
on Jun 27, 2011 at 4:31:46 pm

I find that CS5 doesnt work anything like CS4 did with regards to creating a custom length score matched to a video sequence in Premiere. I am pulling my hair out trying to get this to work as it did in CS4...if it has been changed to a different method I am damned if I know what that is! VERY frustrating and even more frustrating after 3 hours on hold with Adobe and being cut off and no call back!
Does anything know how this Score feature works in CS5? I have a very simple sequence in Premiere and simply wish to have SB create a score matched to the sequence length.

Return to posts index

Chad Baker
on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:57:18 pm

I just spoke with Scott about this, but for the benefit of other folks who might be similarly stuck, I wanted to provide some clarification. Soundbooth CS4 used to provide a way to Dynamic Link sequences from Premiere Pro CS4, which made creating scores to match sequence length a trivially easy task.
Soundbooth CS5 is essentially Soundbooth CS4 with a couple enhancements bolted on, but the core of the application is the same. Because of this internal version mismatch, Dynamic Link doesn't work between Soundbooth CS5 and Premiere Pro CS5, so you can't bring in sequences. You're limited to importing single assets.
In this case, you'd need to render out the whole sequence as a single asset from your PPRO CS5 project and bring it into Soundbooth CS5 in a new multitrack project, then add the score and match up the length.
Soundbooth will take in video assets, but if you prefer to just render out the audio here's a screenshot showing how to export just the audio from a Premiere Pro project.
Best regards,
Chad

Return to posts index

Jeff Adams
on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:23:13 am

Man, this has been driving me nuts. Why did they take dynamic link away? Really, I don't want to know, and there can't be a good reason. Adobe sure sucks sometimes, really bad, Encore sucks a lot, so many annoying little quirks!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I'm curious, so now that we're forced into a different workflow, which really takes a toll on creativity because I may want to readjust some things and not have to rerender to score WHICH OBVIOUSLY ADOBE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT AGAIN.

Back to what I'm curious about, will brining in a rendered project mean I have to render out 2 times now??? I mean, first you render your ppro project to score the audio NOW, and then after you score you have to re-render again???? That's rediculous to make us have to render out twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely this can't be the case, why would they regress???? I don't want to know why really, I just want to progress, not go backwards. I swear, so many of these company out there suck soooo bad.... soooooooooo bad....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]