FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wav files over 0-db and convolution effect.

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richie TovellWav files over 0-db and convolution effect.
by on May 24, 2010 at 9:21:28 pm

Hi, I've been creating files to use in Auditions convolution "Effect" for the purpose's of creating my own convolution reverbs, with the effects "add selection" function I am able to select areas of waveforms to create these custom convolution files, I then save them as imp files in auditions library.

For some reason audio files that are normalised to 0-db produce extremely quiet results that are almost in audible when these files are used as convolution data by the convolution effect, this is the first problem I have, I don't quite understand why this is happening, in fact with the "normalise view" tick box in the effect un ticked these 0-db files can barely be seen.

Secondly: somehow I managed to find a way around this but I'm not clear exactly how I did it, I managed to add a large amount of gain to some audio files within audition, raising them to + 21db (extremely loud) these files produced a good loud convolution effect when used as source, what I concluded was that this convolution effect requires very hot wave files + 20 db or so to maintain a reasonable volume.

The problem I have now is that I can no longer increase the files to this level, for some reason Audition is clipping my waveforms to 0-db where as previously I was able to raise them to + 21 db, why is this happening? I haven't made any changes in the preferences.

Bellow is a screen shot of a waveform in audition hitting + 21 db.

Please advise, why can I raise some waveforms to this level and not others? the white lines in the pic above are auditions 0-db level indicator (it's threshold) as you can see from the db scale on the right the wav is hitting + 21db way over the threshold.

Regards

Richie.

Coda - musical selections; in film, the ending or last section of a film (often wordless).

Return to posts index

Richie TovellRe: Wav files over 0-db and convolution effect.
by on May 25, 2010 at 1:04:15 pm

One more thing I neglected to mention, all my files are 24 bit rendered from a 32 bit floating point, in addition to this I have the "Convert all audio files to 32 bit on import" check box ticked in my preferences this is making no difference, neither is "Convert file to. . 32 bit" function, my files are still being clipped to 0-db.

I'm really confused, it's like Audition is deliberately converting everything to 16 bit, any ideas? This is very frustrating.

Coda - musical selections; in film, the ending or last section of a film (often wordless).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]