FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit stereo files in Soundbooth

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin FrericksEdit stereo files in Soundbooth
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 10:40:04 am

Hey,

can anybody tell me how to seperately edit the left and right channels of an audio file with Soundbooth?

On my PMW-EX1 I usually use a directional microphone that I record on the left audio channel and the integrated mic that I record on the right channel. Later in editing I mix these together, to not have the interviewee appear to be talking from the left when he's actually standing in front of the camera :)

In Audition I used to do this by mixing both channels at different volumes to mono and then back to stereo. In Soundbooth I can't figure out how to do it. Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks,
Martin

-----
KYAM Studios - Media Production, Marketing and Web Programming from Aachen, Germany
http://www.kyam.de

Return to posts index

Martin FrericksRe: Edit stereo files in Soundbooth
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 7:43:43 pm

I figured it out, in case anyone is interested:

1. First use the Render and export to Soundbooth option in Premiere
2. Then use File -> Export to export both channels to different files
3. Open one of the newly created files, select the whole content, copy it to the clipboard.
4. Then open the other file and instead of pasting it use the Paste & Mix option. You can then select at which amplitudes you want to mix both files.
5. Then overwrite the original stereo file that came from Premiere with Save As and then choosing to save as stereo instead of mono.
6. Back in Premiere the altered file should reload automatically.

God, I hate Soundbooth. Imagine you have to do all that with 10 hours of footage from a trade show... I thought it was supposed to make things easier for people who don't want to get too much into audio. In Audition you can just press F11 and be done with it.

-----
KYAM Studios - Media Production, Marketing and Web Programming from Aachen, Germany
http://www.kyam.de

Return to posts index

Ethan ReitzRe: Edit stereo files in Soundbooth
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:19:50 am

Directed at the software and not the messenger: this workflow is absolutely ridiculous! AND I can't seem to find an alternative. Is there any solution? Anything to not have to export each and every single audio file, export as separate mono files, import one channel into both sides of a multitrack and then mix down to a file?

Is there other software I can use to import adobe premiere projects so that I can edit the sound clips and not a single wav file? When I've already done a cross fade this is very time consuming.

Is there any way of getting exporting all those little sound clips as numbered files so I can at least edit them and then reinsert them in sequence? Somebody must have a way of getting these audio files out of premiere in an organized way.

Can I at least control what my audio files which are extracted from Premiere are called?

Adobe has some of the most beautiful, intuitive software in existence and yet... this particular tool brings the whole usefulness of the production suite down.

Return to posts index

Skylar StandleyRe: Edit stereo files in Soundbooth
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:17:18 pm

Stuff like this really makes me look closer at final cut. Between this and the way that encore performs when rendering, and it's frequent crashes on my 8 core mac pro, I'm feeling some definite buyers remorse.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]