FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuttering projector sound

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry S. Evans IIStuttering projector sound
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 5:59:07 pm

I'm looking for a reasonably easy -or at least reliable- means of treating dialog or soundtrack to create that chatter sound one gets from the old movie projectors.

I've got audio of the projector sound itself, what I'm looking for is a method of taking recently recorded audio and making it sound like it's coming off an old print. The best analogy is the old "science film" they used to show in the school libraries, that were always sticking and stuttering.

I've tried googling but all I get are links for the projector sound effect. Any ideas would be appreciated. -

Return to posts index

Scott SmitelliRe: Stuttering projector sound
by on Oct 5, 2009 at 1:21:45 am

I think I have an idea what you're trying to do... It's possible, at least in Audition. (Not sure if Soundbooth has this effect.)

You might try the "Dynamic Delay" effect.

* The original/delayed slider should be 100% delayed.
* Turn "loop graphs" on, and set the frequency to 24 Hz.
* In the Delay graph, turn Spline Curves on, and draw a graph so the right and leftmost points are set to 0 ms delay. Then right in the middle, draw a point at 1 ms or less. (This is what you tweak to set how "bad" the projector is.)
* The Feedback should be flat at 0%.

This creates an effect sort of like a tape slowing down and speeding up very slightly, 24 times per second, much like a cheap film projector. If you overdo it, people might start sounding something like Chewbacca. So set your delays carefully.

And don't forget the bandpass filter. Those old projectors weren't exactly known for their audio fidelity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]