FORUMS: list search recent posts

Volume Fluctuation on Mixdown

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob LongtonVolume Fluctuation on Mixdown
by on Dec 16, 2008 at 4:07:30 pm

I'm trying to record a demo for a 3 piece band (drums, guitar, bass, vocals). I'm going for a vintage 60's rock feel, so i want it to be a little more raw than the typical recording. i think i have track individually recorded as good as i can get them with the setup i have. but i don't know the best way to utilize the effects in AA3 to get that sound.

more importantly; i'll get the mix sounding decent in multitrack mode, then when i mixdown to an mp3 (high quality), i get drastic volume fluctuations like it being heavily compressed or something. i acn't figure out what i'm doing wrong.

i have trouble in general determining what chain of effects to use, what order, or if i should apply them to the entire mixed down track or individual tracks.

any advice?

Return to posts index

Steven TalleyRe: Volume Fluctuation on Mixdown
by on Dec 16, 2008 at 8:09:45 pm

You might want to save your mix to an uncompressed wav file first and then normalize that file before saving to MP3. Compression can also be added to the stereo wav file to bring up the levels (reduce dynamic range) which will make it sound louder.
ST

Return to posts index

Pratt LeonRe: Volume Fluctuation on Mixdown
by on Dec 17, 2008 at 2:03:52 am

I tried that and it did not help. i'm using the same sound card and everything. if i playback the mp3 in adobe audition it sounds ok. it's only when i play it in other applications that the volume goes up and down.

Return to posts index

Emmett AndrewsRe: Volume Fluctuation on Mixdown
by on Dec 18, 2008 at 5:42:20 am

Stop mixing down to mp3...Mp3 sounds awful. Always save a copy of a PCM wav.

If you're having problems with Windows Media Player, you're not alone...It has issues. I suggest Winamp.

Emmett

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2008 at 12:30:50 pm

even when i mix it down to wav, it still sounds much worse than playing it in multi-track mode or even the mixdown file through audition.

one thing that really bugs me is the into transition. the intro is just guitar and when the rest of the instruments come in the volume is suppressed.

am i doing something wrong in the mixing process?

Return to posts index

Steven TalleyRe: Volume Fluctuation on Mixdown
by on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:33:42 am

So, Pratt are you having the same problem as described by Jacob?
Question, when you compress to MP3 what bitrate are you using? 128k, 192k, 320k? The higher the better by the way.

"one thing that really bugs me is the into transition. the intro is just guitar and when the rest of the instruments come in the volume is suppressed." <--------Overly compressed with a dull flat sound??? ,or is it too loud and overdriven to distortion???

Return to posts index

by on Dec 19, 2008 at 12:25:33 pm

Sorry, same person. there was some confusion when registering.

i use 192k and i'm familiar with the undesirable effects of using a low bitrate mp3 format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]