FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to calculate the average rms power

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lily Chen
how to calculate the average rms power
on Oct 15, 2008 at 1:23:04 am

I've tried many ways but still could not get the same value as the one of the average rms power in audition.

I found the word "Audition's meters are peak meters" in the reply of Emmitt, so the average rms power is some kind of peak power? could someone pls tell me how to calculate it in detail?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Emmett Andrews
Re: how to calculate the average rms power
on Oct 15, 2008 at 4:07:22 am

There are several ways to calculate.

Everything you need to know is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Mean_Square

I should clarify....Audition's VISUAL meters are peak meters...They measure the absolute peaks and vallies. RMS meters, common in analog equipment, measure average level or RMS. Audition can calculate RMS for a file or segment of a file, but Audition's display will only show peaks.

For a more true representation of percieved loudness, we measure RMS A-weighted (called the equal loudness contour), which essentially means mid frequencies have higher value than very low and high frequencies, so loudness is determained by power, time and frequency, whereas true RMS measures only power over time.

Emmett

Return to posts index

Lily Chen
Re: how to calculate the average rms power
on Oct 16, 2008 at 3:25:00 am

Thank you , Emmett.
I've checked the content of the link. it's the formula of rms, i.e. the method of total rms power in audition, however, what I want is the average rms power.

I've tried many times yesterday by adjusting the moving size of window and verified it with several voice files, the max difference is less than 0.5dB between my results and those of average rms power in audition. So I think I've solve the problem.

Lily

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]