FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing vocal sex...

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen reber
Changing vocal sex...
on Aug 8, 2008 at 4:42:13 pm

Hey guys. I have a hard one for ya, and I'm hoping you can help. I am in the process of making a small animation, and only have a budget for one voice actor. But I need voices for both a guy and a girl. I tried raising the pitch of his vocals in Soundbooth, but it sounded crappy and artificial. Is there any suggestions you can give, to help me make a convincing female voice from a mans?

Thanks in advance =]

Return to posts index

Larry S. Evans II
Re: Changing vocal sex...
on Sep 3, 2008 at 3:33:37 pm

The pitchbender in Audition has a good deal more options than Soundbooth. The exact method would be difficult to describe, as this is more of an intuitive thing.

Be aware that pushing it too far in one go can create the same kind of artificial effect you are talking about. I suggest that you raise it slightly and save it to a new file, perform any cleanup required (i.e. to remove any enhanced noise), and then go back into pitchbender and take it up again. Repeat the process until you get something you like.

Note that this is still not going to be 100% perfect. If the male voice is very deep and resonant, it's going to alway sound "phony" because you are pushing it outside of it's normal range. Adding back some resonance (via echo or delay) once you have a pitch that sounds right can reduce the "artificial nature", but it's never going to sound as "real" as a real female voice would.

Larry S. Evans II
Executive Producer
Digital I Productions

Return to posts index

stephen reber
Re: Changing vocal sex...
on Sep 4, 2008 at 4:28:51 am

Larry... Thanks-a-billion for the help and advice!!

Stephen =]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]