FORUMS: list search recent posts

shotgun mic for recording to soundbooth

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew chung
shotgun mic for recording to soundbooth
on May 16, 2008 at 2:43:29 am

I have a shotgun mic, an AT-897 and an XLR to 3.5 mm adapter which plugs into my computer just fine. However, when I record, it records as static.

I use this mic in the field regularly and would love to use it for recording to my computer using soundbooth - does anyone have any advice as to why it's not working?

Return to posts index

Emmett Andrews
Re: shotgun mic for recording to soundbooth
on May 18, 2008 at 1:51:04 am

How are you powering the mic?

Return to posts index

matthew chung
on May 19, 2008 at 9:26:36 pm

the mic uses phantom power (at-897) but you can pop a battery in there as well so there is no phantom power needed.

i have a mini adapter which will plug into a computer, however when recording using the mic and adapter, it records with alot of static.

i also tried having the shotgun attached to the camera and connecting the camera to the computer thru firewire, but my understanding is you don't get as good quality doing it that way.

any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Emmett Andrews
on May 20, 2008 at 3:50:23 am

When you use the FireWire option, does it sound better to you? If it sounds better, go that route! Ideally, you would send the mic through a good preamp and into a professional soundcard. Since you're using an onboard card, the quality will not be great and you may very well be better off using the FireWire route.

The only other thing I thought of...Which input are you using on your soundcard? There should be a "line in" and "mic in" option. Whichever one you've tried, give the other one a shot.

Emmett

Return to posts index

matthew chung
on May 20, 2008 at 6:48:59 am

Thanks Emmett,

There's only a mic option and going through firewire actually sounds fine. thanks for the response!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]