FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please help with this particularly nasty mic noise (best settings for AA noise removal)

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel SihastruPlease help with this particularly nasty mic noise (best settings for AA noise removal)
by on Apr 29, 2008 at 2:45:53 am

Hello all,

I just started using the Movie function on my digital camera, an Olympus Stylus 770. Turns out that it records audio in very low quality, 8bit pcm audio, and either the settings used or the mic on the camera leave a very bad noise.

here's an mp3 of what I mean:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xndbj0j11m2

I tried noise removal with AA, and all the settings I've tested left a weird echo-like sound, very poor quality.

Then I tried removal with Audacity (exact same file, same Noise Profile selected) and the results were much better than AA!

mp3 below:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mlzfmbxvyix

now my question is, what are some good settings to use with AA on this particular file, so that the sound is at least as good as the Audacity version?

My camera produces that sound constantly, so if you guys can help me find some settings for this mp3, I can probably use the same settings with all my movies, in batch processing.

Any help would be much appreciated :D

Return to posts index

WILLIE TOTHRe: Please help with this particularly nasty mic noise (best settings for AA noise removal)
by on Apr 29, 2008 at 12:20:01 pm

Bring the clip into the edit side and highlight a small section of JUST NOISE then go to EFFECTS > NOISE REDUCTION > NOISE REDUCTION > CAPTURE PROFILE > OK ... Now highlight the whole clip and go back to the noise reduction filter, use the PREVEIW and BYPASS to check your settings and then OK ... Use extreme CAUTION to not over do it ... Start at about 60% and work up from there clicking the BYPASS off and on till you get enough of the noise out so it's not distracting but doesn't affect the voice if you take too much the voice can get really ugly ............. WILLIE

incidental poet

Return to posts index

Daniel SihastruRe: Please help with this particularly nasty mic noise (best settings for AA noise removal)
by on Apr 29, 2008 at 10:27:37 pm

Thanks Willie, at first that worked just about right.

Then I tried the same settings on the original files (the raw video from the camera, as I will do in Batch Processing) and the results were completely different !?!

I know it must be the fact that I converted the audio to higher quality mp3 in the sample above, but I'm trying to find out the best settings to get my audio, from the original camera footage, cleaned up and ready to edit.

so here's the raw footage (1.8 Mb download)
http://www.mediafire.com/?c0n90rjg3zo

can anyone tell me a good way to clean this up ?

I need to know:
- what format to convert the audio to (in AA) BEFORE noise removal (if any)
- what SETTINGS do you recommend for this particular whirring noise that my camera makes (FFT size, Smoothing, Precision Factor, Spectral decay etc) - if you could post a screenshot of the settings that would be awesome
- what's a good format to EXPORT the sound from AA once the removal is done (format, sample rate, etc) - looking to import in Sony Vegas for edit. Ideally this would be just a single conversion, noise removal and then save (not 2 conversions per file)

I only need the Audio saved, video you can completely ignore - and please do, it is very small res and turned out kind of lame :D

I know some of you might be sound engineers or generally work with sound at a professional level, so you've probably seen this sort of problem in the past and know X good ways to deal with it, if you could find 5 min to look into this it would be strongly appreciated :)

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Please help with this particularly nasty mic noise (best settings for AA noise removal)
by on Apr 29, 2008 at 11:27:08 pm

You need to recapture for every file ... The same setting for one file may not work for another ... If you would like you can E-mail me a sample of the original and I can see what I can do to help you ... Email it to loganonestudio@aol.com ...

Willie

incidental poet

Return to posts index

Daniel SihastruRe: Please help with this particularly nasty mic noise (best settings for AA noise removal)
by on Apr 30, 2008 at 2:14:39 am

ok, emailed. I made a fresh file, with more silence at the beginning for a good noise reduction profile

here's a link if anyone else wants a shot at this
http://www.mediafire.com/?gjv0xswnazc
(2.5 megs download, just 2 clicks)

I'm thinking since I want to get rid of the exact same sound, in files of the same format, from the same source, it would be possible to save the noise profile now and use that in batch processing.

Basically it's the same constant whirring that my camera adds to all movies..

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Please help with this particularly nasty mic noise (best settings for AA noise removal)
by on Apr 30, 2008 at 12:02:54 pm

Noise will most likely be contextual with whatever sounds you are recording even though the cause of the noise is the camera, it won't be identical in relation to ambient sound every time.

You could save a noise profile, but it takes a couple seconds to capture the noise profile from the actual sound you're working on...why wouldn't you do that?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

CPO, Digieffects

Return to posts index

by on Apr 30, 2008 at 6:38:24 pm

Hi Tim,

I can't really take the noise profile manually for each file, because I want to batch process dozens of small clips, so I need something saved in advance, that will work good enough under most conditions.

Thanks to Willie also for the assistance on email.

Here's what I'm looking to do:

Batch process a bunch of small clips, as follows:

1. convert file to some higher format
2. remove noise, using some settings that work best for the only constant noise that is there: the camera noise. Questions here are: what would you recommend as advanced settings ? (Reduce By, Precision Factor, Smoothing, Spectral Decay etc)
3. Export the file, as audio only, for use in Sony Vegas. The conversion quality on step 1 should be just high enough for the noise removal process to work ok, which it doesn't at 8bit, 8000Hz. So what would be some good enough quality for this?

Finally, I've noticed that if I apply a strong noise removal, the voice doesn't only get altered, but also an echo shows up. Any tips for not having that echo, or does it appear in all noise removal ?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 30, 2008 at 7:35:15 pm

Update:

I've just noticed that reducing the FFT size (to 512 instead of the original 4096) gives some better results, less echo. My main question about converting is on those advanced settings.

The ones I tried so far are
Precision Factor 11
Smoothing amount 2
Transition width 5 dB
Spectral Decay 65%

Are these ok ?

In any case, the file starts to sound reasonably good, so if my settings aren't VERY wrong I think I can use what I got now)

Return to posts index

Tommy McNallyRe: Please help with this particularly nasty mic noise (best settings for AA noise removal)
by on Jun 16, 2008 at 9:44:37 am

I don't recommend the noise reduction effects in Audition because of this problem, it's when you remove too much of the frequency of the voice that these strange artifacts are left behind after processing. With the setting mentioned before you can get passable results but it's worth trying a third party plug in, particularly if you can get hold of the Waves X-Noise. It's expensive but it's indispensable!

Hype Napungra

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]