FORUMS: list search recent posts

A couple questions about Adobe Audition

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken CampbellA couple questions about Adobe Audition
by on Jan 2, 2008 at 7:08:54 pm

Hello,

I have been using Adobe Audition to record my music for maybe two months or so. Originally I miced my combo amp and just recorded like that, but I bought my friend's Line 6 PODxt Live from him to record, this way I did not have to deal with poor quality from a miced amp. I've been working on one song in particular and I've come across some things I don't understand.

1. When I first started using Audition, there was a control for the channel's individual volume and across from it a control for pan. That pan control isn't there anymore and I'm not sure why.

2. When I record a track and delete a piece of it, it doesn't go away, but is simply "skipped over", why is this? I've noticed it most when I get to the next question:

3. When mastering, why does it show those pieces I wanted to be deleted and why does it disappear from the multitrack work space after it's done being mastered?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
-Ken

Return to posts index

Murray NelsonRe: A couple questions about Adobe Audition
by on Jan 4, 2008 at 4:27:08 am

Funny most recording studio professionals would take a miced amp over a straight line in any day of the week. For a rock metal sounding guitar the defacto standard is a Shure 57 mic.

next in your line up you would be concerned about a mic pre amp and then your A2D conversion. If you are using a line 6 I believe the A2D is better than a soundblaster.

As far as removing files one has to Destroy the file not just delete it. Under Clip.

Somecontrols disappear when the prog is not fully expanded

Return to posts index

Darren EdwardsRe: A couple questions about Adobe Audition
by on Jan 4, 2008 at 12:11:55 pm

1. Right-click on your track in the mixer window, scroll down to the
bottom, select Envelopes and check out your Pan settings. If you can
enable 'Splines' (the more subtle way of mixing but finicky for intricate
stuff) then your Pan control should be working fine.

If you can't see the Pan options Envelopes, still in the mixer window,
check your View tab to see if 'View Pan Envelopes' is ticked.

2/3. I don't understand the wording of these questions. When you record
a take straight into the mixer, and then delete it from the mixer, it is,
by default, still available in the Edit window. To keep on top of multiple
takes, it sounds like you should be deleting your unwanted takes from
the Edit View immediately.

Murray's correct about SM57s. 57s and 58s (for vocals) usually outlive
their owners. I've got a 15-year-old SM58 which has seen all kinds of
action.

A great software tool for DI'ing the guitar and ditching the cheap amp is
Guitar Rig. Versions, 1, 2 and 3 are all great, great for experimenting with
too - vocals, bass, keyboards, anything you can input or mic up, really...

Providing your PC and soundcard are upto it, you should be able to run
Guitar Rig and Audition simultaneously.
Guitar Rig: http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarline

D.

x-gf.com

Return to posts index

Ken CampbellRe: A couple questions about Adobe Audition
by on Jan 4, 2008 at 1:54:17 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and I've got everything running in the way that I need it to. Some things I figured out, some things I took from your guys' post. Either way, thanks for the help.

- Ken

Return to posts index

Eli WeissRe: A couple questions about Adobe Audition
by on Jan 7, 2008 at 3:38:27 am

Hi Ken -
Not sure if this is part of your issue, but Audition does accumulate a lot of excess WAVs, some very large, if you do multiple takes that you wind up not using in your mix. Unfortunately neither AA2 nor AA3 provides a clean way of removing this obsolete audio from your hard drive. (Using File|Close Unused Media just removes the files from the Files list, it does not delete or relocate the actual files.)

There is a good shareware utility that handles this issue, no muss, no fuss. It's specific to Audition and AA3 support was just added (I haven't tried the new version but have used the old AA2 version almost daily for 18 mos or so). You can install it in AA's Favorites menu. It allows you to automatically delete unreferenced WAVs or just move them to a secondary location.

The d/l is:

http://www.edwardhamlin.com/afc_download.shtml

Like I said, I can't really tell from your post whether this is part of what's frustrating you, but it's a known annoyance so perhaps at least this helps you see what AA's up to.

HTH,
Eli

Return to posts index

Murray NelsonRe: A couple questions about Adobe Audition
by on Jan 8, 2008 at 1:50:44 am

Thanks for that Eli I am going to try it out. Another related issue is that you are not able to 'lock in play only' like you were able to up to and including AA1.5. This lack of facility contributes to the useless build up of uneeded wav files.

One thing I am curious about. Ever since Adobe took over Cool Edit it appears to be becoming less functional and weird. For example for weirdness "Release ASIO in background" This is the most maddening and apparent useless option Adobe has introduced. Can anyone explain the reason it was written into Adobe Audition 2 + ????

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2008 at 2:44:15 am

Agree about the "Release ASIO," since the only thing I've ever heard is that you would never want to do that! Surefire way to mess up your take.

Part of the difficulty with some of these things, IMHO, is that we're running under Windows with all its inherent quirks, bugs, excessive settings and options, etc. I am not a Mac guy but clearly that's a simpler (to the end user) and more bulletproof environment. So we find ourselves slightly cursed...but we try to keep it fun anyway. ;)

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2008 at 12:13:57 pm

I disagree with the Windows opinion. Audition 1.5/XP SP2 is about
as stable as anything I've used on any platform; Apple still
haven't sorted out their new operating system yet let alone
Mac/Windows, Mac/Windows software, Mac/Windows PC software
(Audition 2+) running on Mac/Windows operating systems.

Windows users' biggest hurdle is their inability to strip the
operating system of all the junk, bugs, and quirks etc. Sadly
nobody's released the book on that yet, so it's all trial
and error and/or a knowledgeable IT friend.

D.

x-gf.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2008 at 3:47:37 pm

Fair enough about AA - once you have it up and running smoothly. I concur that 1.5 was easier than 2 in this regard. Maybe ASIO complicated life.

I well remember the struggles and frustration getting 2.0 to play nice with my A/D interface, not so much due to AA issues but to driver issues and a host of other things that required me to waste a lot of time scouring forums for answers. On paper it all should have been plug and play - NOT!

I do find AA pretty stable now, despite quirks. I was speaking more of the Windows world in general. It seems to me that MS expects even ordinary users to be far more technical (and willing to tinker) than the average Mac user needs to be. That's why I spend so much time on the phone giving tech support to my mom!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 9, 2008 at 12:33:08 pm

...and Apple don't exactly have the best customer service
rep either, eh?

D.

x-gf.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]