FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you even out the sound from a wedding event?

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel ShvartsmanHow do you even out the sound from a wedding event?
by on Nov 25, 2007 at 3:43:46 pm

Hey, there. I have Audition 2.
I recently captured a wedding, which I later edited, and exported the sound track.
The exported sound consists of the following:
1) songs ripped from the clients CDs which were used as a background for the engagement story and entering guests.
2) DJ speeches and orchestra music captured over the air on camera mic
3) toasts and speeches captured over the air on camera mic

The sound is not even, b/c it depended on how far the camera was away from the speakers and how close the guests held the mic during toasts.
Could someone please give me detailed instructions as to how can I even out the sound in Audition? Which filters do I use, which settings, etc...?

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: How do you even out the sound from a wedding event?
by on Nov 25, 2007 at 4:13:17 pm

Each is a case by case issue but captured with camcorder mic you will never be able to make it sound great because of the background noise and the ambient room noise ... In most cases you will either have to go through clip by clip and increase or decrease the gain because if you try to hard limit or nomalize your percentage of gain differencial will be the same ... Also when you amplify your background noise will also be amplified ... My suggestion would be get a big block of time a pot of coffee and be prepaired to put some hours in ... On the parts where it's just music and nothing else I would get the tracks from the CD, and replace the tracks recorded with the camcorder ... If you run into some really bad issues you can E-mail a sample to me at loganonestudio@aol.com ... I wish there was a better answer but there isn't other then if you are going to continue to do weddings buy a few wireless systems and place them on your key people, even a shotgun mic is better than the camcorder mic but you will still have issues with it ... WILLIE

Return to posts index

EmmettRe: How do you even out the sound from a wedding event?
by on Nov 26, 2007 at 11:02:11 am

I concur. You can mess around with the dynamics processor. Try a fast attack and fast release. Visually, it will even out the levels nicely. Audibly, however, I don't expect that it will give you good results at all.

Even with a lot of manual adjustments, there won't be much. As Willie says, a shotgun mic may help. The standard is the Sennheiser MKH-416. However, the R0DE NTG is very good, as well and much less expensive. It would probably help considerably with dialogue, but music would still sound rough.

Emmett

Return to posts index

Blast1Re: How do you even out the sound from a wedding event?
by on Nov 27, 2007 at 6:07:08 pm

First you ought to familiarize yourself with your tools
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/location_sound.html
http://leaders.creativecow.net/product/168
http://www.cortland.edu/flteach/mm-course/SOUND-2.HTML
Even though some material isn't directly applicable the principals are the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]