FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mastering live concert recording

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zazzarino
Mastering live concert recording
on Oct 29, 2007 at 2:36:46 am

After several years of recording concerts by a pretty good amateur orchestra,using a Sony PCM-R500 DAT machine (2-tracks), I've been asked by the orchestra to make a CD for sale. I've been using CoolEdit for years and now Audition, but never for creating a CD master. The CD is almost ready to go out for replication (tracks selected, liner notes written, cover designed, etc), but I need help in mastering it.

Is there a tutorial or book you can recommend? Or even some basic tips on what might be possible with Audition. So far, I've added fade-ins and fade-outs and normalized the tracks to 90%.

Thanks

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Mastering live concert recording
on Oct 29, 2007 at 4:08:44 pm

Everyone who does audio has their own way of doing final mix ... Audition isn't a mastering program yet it will give you darn good final mix ... For me, once I have a mix that is EQ'd then I will use the hard limit feature which brings the stuff in the bottom closer to the peaks and limits the peaks to your desired settings ... One thing that is very inportant is if your using a home stereo system to mix on you already have problems, if this the case I would look into a pair of studio monitor speakers ... I like to hard limit +6db, depending on my clips volume) with a max limit to -1db, but in todays digital world most everything in limited to -.1db ... A 2 second lead in on each clip is what I personally like to use and in most cases is pretty much the standard ... OK, Emmet it's your turn ....... WILLIE

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Oct 29, 2007 at 4:08:54 pm

Everyone who does audio has their own way of doing final mix ... Audition isn't a mastering program yet it will give you darn good final mix ... For me, once I have a mix that is EQ'd then I will use the hard limit feature which brings the stuff in the bottom closer to the peaks and limits the peaks to your desired settings ... One thing that is very inportant is if your using a home stereo system to mix on you already have problems, if this the case I would look into a pair of studio monitor speakers ... I like to hard limit +6db, depending on my clips volume) with a max limit to -1db, but in todays digital world most everything in limited to -.1db ... A 2 second lead in on each clip is what I personally like to use and in most cases is pretty much the standard ... OK, Emmet it's your turn ....... WILLIE

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Oct 29, 2007 at 4:09:16 pm

Return to posts index

Emmett
on Oct 30, 2007 at 4:23:54 am

Audition is actually very commonly used for mastering. Much more common than most people realize, especially in all-digital mastering houses. Audition, Sound Forge and Wavelab are the big three. And Audition does just as well as any.

There are, however, plug-ins that add a great deal of flexibility. If you'd like to add a mastering plug-in, IMO, iZotope Ozone 3 cannot be beat!

Now, even if you don't care to spend the money, there's a free download from iZotope that is OUTSTANDING reading. As far as I'm concerned, this is one of the best audio resources in existance.

http://izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneMasteringGuide.PDF

Even though it is designed to be used with Ozone, there's a HUGE amount of info that applies to audio, in general. Read the whole thing (skim the Ozone-specific parts).

Everyone here would be wise to read this PDF. It's just absolutely superb, and pretty easy to understand.

Emmett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]