FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex RinquestUSB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Oct 1, 2007 at 4:12:08 am

Hi All

(No I won't buy USB mics in a hurry again without checking whether the system works)

With the mics selected as recording devices is there a way to monitor input signal in Audition (1.5) or Soundbooth. I can do this in Cakewalk. The idea was to be able to record interviews using a laptop (HP DV5000) but this is not the pipedream I expected. At present I cannot figure out how to monitor input although signal is going through. At present I have to setup by doing a record then playback test and then record and pray that what I am not hearing is sounding ok. Help!

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Oct 1, 2007 at 8:40:00 am

On the session side just double click on the input meter and you can monitor without putting it in record mode

Return to posts index

Alex RinquestRe: USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Oct 2, 2007 at 2:40:31 pm

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Lee JonesRe: USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Apr 11, 2008 at 1:15:35 am

Where is the "Session Side"? And where is the Input meter? I saw in another forum, "monitor -> audition mix -> always". Can't find any such tabs. Am I really that dumb or blind that I cannot find this stuff? Saw this also: "...you need to enable Audition Mix as the monitoring method". HUH?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 2:51:34 am

OK, I am going to be as kind as possible but I think it would be EXTREEMLY helpful if you would read the help file ...

incidental poet

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 4:48:59 am

Read it, read it, and read it some more, what am I missing?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 6:24:23 am

click on the multi track tab and it will get you to the session side ... The VU meters are at the bottom of the screen ...

incidental poet

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 7:00:25 am

Ok, all that does is produce the view meters, it does NOT allow me to hear any input signal. There is nothing under the "Sessions" tab that says "Monitor" or anything of the kind. Under "Options - Monitor Record Level", same, it makes the view meters appear, but no signal in the headphones. I've spent the past 10 hours looking at help topics, tutorials, and searching discussion forums, and I have yet to find an answer.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 12:54:55 pm

In options go to device order and set up your record and playback devices ... Seriously this is the easy part of Audition and if you can't get this you may want to rethink this whole recording thing ...

incidental poet

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 2:53:13 pm

Well, I don't know why this is making you so mad - to the point of trying to belittle me, but so far, there is STILL no input signal coming out the headhphones. Could it be possible that I'm really not as stupid as you give me credit for, that maybe there is some kind of glitch, or some other oddity going on here? For the record, I've been doing digital recording for about 12 years, and this is the first time I've had a problem that I couldn't figure out. If you don't want to help, that's perfectly ok, but the snide little remarks are not helping.

For anybody who might want to help, under Options - Recording Devices, it lists "Wave Mapper", and "Microphone (SigmaTel High Defin[EV]". Those are the only two choices, I've put them in different order, still no input signal coming out the headphones.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:18:48 pm

Wave mapper isn't going to help you at all you need to have whatever you are using to record through on the list ... If it doesn't show up on the list go to the REWIRE tab and you should be able to get your input device listed ...

C:Program FilesAdobeAudition 1.5helpen_UShtmlhelp.html

Have you set the in's and out's up on your tracks as of yet? What version are you using? As for trying to belittle you in any way that wasn't my intent nor am I mad sorry you took it that way ..............

incidental poet

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2008 at 6:54:11 am

Hi folks,

I'm going to try this again. Does anybody know how to set this program so that I can monitor the input? I am using Adobe Audition 1.5, with an M-Audio Firewire 410 unit as my connector. I have tried EVERYTHING, and still no input signal coming out the headphones. I can see the level meters at the bottom of the screen, I can listen to what I record during PLAYBACK, but not while I'm recording. For the record, I have to wonder this - why would a company make a program where it is NOT the default for the input signal to be monitored through the headphones, AND, make it so damn difficult, if not impossible, for this to happen - as NOBODY records without being able to hear what they are recording.

On the "Rewire" tab, when I click the "Enable" tab, it tells me that "There are no ReWire slave applications found on this system, ReWire will not be enabled".

Common sense tells me that there should be a tab somewhere under which it says, "Monitor Input Signal - Enable or Disable".

I understand it is the default setting to monitor the input signal on other Multitrack programs, but I already have Audition, and I know how to work it now, EXCEPT that I cannot MONITOR THE INPUT SIGNAL. Again, NOBODY records that way.

Anybody? Simple instructions on how to be able to monitor the input signal???

Return to posts index

joe detoteRe: USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Apr 13, 2008 at 7:40:31 pm

Maybe Willie was right when he told you that maybe you should rethink recording or at least use a program that is geared to someone of your level

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2008 at 11:24:18 pm

It's a known fact that the world is full of pathetic little assholes who get their jollies by trying to screw with people. I thought this was a help forum, but well...

Oh yeah, you people can go fvck yourselves.

Return to posts index

WILLIE TOTHRe: USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 2:30:39 pm

Lee,

Please use your grown up socially accepted words on this forum ... Thank you

incidental poet

Return to posts index

Neil SladeRe: USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Jul 28, 2008 at 8:14:29 pm

Yes, we are running up against the same thing here

I've been using Audition 1.5 for YEARS on my own machine-- I;'ve made several FEATURE FILMS with it.

I put it on a friend's computer, and we get playback sound, and everything works fine--, and we too, for some reason I haven't figured out yet-- does not allow us to HEAR the input signal while recording.

So, before y'all get too jolly poking fun at this fellow, he has a legitimate problem, that I, someone with 3 decades of engineering experience, including about 8 years of Audition 1.5 experience, also share.

I know this program upside down, and have checked everything-- it's still a puzzle. If I figure it out, I'll post

Neil Slade
http://www.NeilSlade.com
The AMAZING Brain Adventure

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2008 at 10:49:11 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, there are those who get some kind of cheap thrill by thrusting their aggression at other people for no apparent reason. Even worse, when one calls B.S. what it is, the person doing the calling is usually the one whose posts disappear, and who usually gets banned from the board - such as happened to me - on both issues.

Ok, the subject at hand. What I finally learned was that I didn't have the proper driver installed. With the wrong driver, it appeared that the M-Audio unit worked partially, so that didn't set off anything to me that said "driver". When I did install the proper driver, everything worked fine, and I haven't had any problems since. Hope this helps. http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=790 . If this is not the proper driver, it's pretty easy to find it through Google. Pressed for time right now, so can't be sure it's the right one.

Lee

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2008 at 11:33:29 pm

Thanks--

Actually, the computer with the trouble has a Creative Sound Blaster LIVE! card

and I just installed the latest drivers--- nothing.

On my own machine I've got both a Creative Platinum Audigy 2 ZS and I can monitor and hear the input, no problem. I also had an older Audigy 2, and it also worked fine.

I also have an M-Audio Firewire 410, but it has it's own monitoring system so it doesn't really apply to this situation.

On some thread, I read that AUdition 1.5 doesn't support direct monitoring-- but um, that seems contradictory to the fact that both of us are doing exactly that.

So.... my guess is that the Live! card is either defective, or the drivers are basically crap in this regard.

I did download these drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS off a torrent:
Creative Drivers by Daniel k April 08 that I successfully am using on my own system, and will try to use them on my friend's Live! system and see if that works.

If not, we'll replace the card.

My guess that the card drivers, even the new ones I used, have a problem, because for about 10 seconds after installing the new drivers we HEARD the input signal, and then it vanished again for good. Probably the stock Windows driver is okay, but once the Creative drivers settled in, zap--.

Back soon with the results--- thanks

Neil Slade

Return to posts index

by on Jul 29, 2008 at 2:55:02 am

SOLVED

As I suspected, it wasn't Audition-- and it wasn't the physical soundcard either--

It was the drivers.

Here's what I did-- I simply uninstalled the Creative Sound Blaster Drivers-- and Windows then found the hardware itself on the next reboot, and installed it's own drivers-- and apparently the correct ones...

Now it all works perfectly.

It may be that the drivers I downloaded from creative.com were SUPPOSED to be the correct ones- but were not, but apparently close enough that they let themselves get installed without being rejected as not matching the hardware--- but not close enough to work perfectly.

Windows XP then correctly identified the hardware exactly, and installed the perfect driver match.

Voila.
:-)

Neil Slade

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Jul 29, 2008 at 6:05:13 am

Incidentally

I do use audition 1.5 with a Firewire 410 without any problem.

Choose FL 410 MULTI for playback and recording in the device order dialog box

make sure you've chosen the same FW 410 in the Control Panel/ Sound and Audio Devices/Audio for playback and record as well

Make sure in the Firewire Control Panel you've turned on channel 1/2 in the mixer

Good luck

Neil Slade

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 7:01:49 am

:O

Return to posts index

Troy LeitnerRe: USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Oct 9, 2008 at 2:15:24 pm

hello, could you go into a little more detail on how to monitor? whats the sessino side and the input meter? im running adobe 1.5 and a blue snowball usb mic. thanks!

Return to posts index

john mitchellRe: USB Mics Pt 2 monitoring
by on Nov 2, 2008 at 2:15:17 am

Don't listen to those morons. Here:

Double click your volume icon.
hit OPTIONS
Hit PROPERTIES
where it says "show the following volume controls" mark the MICROPHONE box.

Then UNCLICK the MUTE box under your microphone control; back at volume control.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]