FORUMS: list search recent posts

Default Limits on Voice Recordings

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
balthieDefault Limits on Voice Recordings
by on Sep 6, 2007 at 10:24:16 pm

Hi all!!

I'm stuck with a setting that seems to have been set by default in Audition 1.5. When I'm recording (using a condenser mic), the recording seems to top out at -6dB. Anyone have thoughts on this?? I'd really love to ditch this limit & do my recordings properly. It's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Default Limits on Voice Recordings
by on Sep 7, 2007 at 12:35:01 am

Are you running the mic through anything like a mixing board or compressor limitor before Audtion? Did you check your track, or master volumes? Personally I don't see anything wrong with recording at -6db you certainly don't want to record any hotter, you can always boost or lower it during mixing ... The industry standard before digital was
-6db for a finished mix ......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

balthieRe: Default Limits on Voice Recordings
by on Sep 7, 2007 at 12:42:54 am

The issue I have with it is I like having the fine tune control to not have that limit. The waveform image literally flattens out only halfway out from the central line if I get even SLIGHTLY too loud, making it REALLY hard to fine tune my mic volume. Is there a way to turn that off? And I'm only running the mic through a phantom power supply into my soundcard with software to adjust mic volume & boost, if needed.

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Default Limits on Voice Recordings
by on Sep 7, 2007 at 1:06:20 am

What your discribing sounds like you are running through a limiter of some sort ... Is your phanton an outboard unit? I personally don't know of any settings that you can apply in record mode that would limit your input ... I went through the help file as well and didn't see any functions that could be applied when recording ... Auditions limitors are use after recording ... Do you have any 3rd party VST filters that may be activated? In the years I have been using Audition I have never seen this ... Check your setup again making sure that your master volume in audition is set to zero ... Use aditions track volumes to set your record gain ........... WILLIE

Return to posts index

EmmettRe: Default Limits on Voice Recordings
by on Sep 9, 2007 at 8:25:35 pm

This is a known problem with AA 2.0. As I recall, it occurs when the soundcard recieves only half of a stereo/dual mono signal. Read here for details:

http://www.audiomastersforum.net/amforum/index.php/topic,5792.msg58478.html...

Emmett

Return to posts index

BalthieRe: Default Limits on Voice Recordings
by on Sep 9, 2007 at 8:35:57 pm

Hiya.

Thanks so much for checking into this. That thread, unfortunately, doesn't look like those 2.0 users ever discovered a work-around for this -6dB limter either. Problem is...if I try recording voice and do it in stereo with my condensor mic, it only records in the left channel. SO....to try to resolve it by recording in stereo, I may have to find some sort of setting that will allow me to do mic recording in stereo, which I'm not sure if I can do... (maybe a setting that just duplicates the left channel into the right while recording??)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

EmmettRe: Default Limits on Voice Recordings
by on Sep 9, 2007 at 9:16:22 pm

I can't legally speak of any details of the Audition 3.0 release, so I can't tell you if your problem will be avoidable or not, in the next release. What I can say is that it should be out by November and a demo version should be available around the same time. So until you can test it out for yourself, there are some workarounds.

1. After recording, you can go to Effects > Amplitude > Channel Mixer and use the "Both Left" preset.

2. You can record in mono in the multitrack screen. In MT, you have the option to choose which input you want to use (L or R). In edit view, it only allows for a mono sum.

Emmett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]