FORUMS: list search recent posts

audition as a multi track recorder with m-audio delta 1010

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TalbotGrad
audition as a multi track recorder with m-audio delta 1010
on Sep 6, 2007 at 7:21:08 pm

Our television production is moving toward more recording of
musicians/singers. We typically only record two tracks, but for a singer with a guitar and accomp tracks I need at least three and would like 4 to 5 tracks.

I'm wondering if audition matched up with the right card and computer is up to the task of recording 4 maybe 5 simultaneous tracks.

Is audition robust enough to do it?
(a pro audio tech doesn't think it is up to professional standards)

Anyone out there who can speak to this issue?

Thanks
Larry

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: audition as a multi track recorder with m-audio delta 1010
on Sep 7, 2007 at 12:22:11 am

Larry,

Audition handles just about any multi channel soundcard ... The one you are talking about is a bit low end and may conflict with your chipset on your motherboard.

I use a layla and have for years with great results ... Here is a link ... This link is for the 8 track but they also make a 12 ... In conjunction with the Layla I use a Allen and Heath mix wizard 20:8:2 studio 8 track board for my needs it's just wonderful!

http://www.djdeals.com/echoAUDIOFIRE8.htm?gclid=CJyo4uGTsI4CFQRDYQodvl5KJg

Presonus makes a nice firewire unit as well ... I personally haven't used it but a friend of mine ownes one and swears by it.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-PRS-FP10.html#

WILLIE

Return to posts index

Emmett
on Sep 9, 2007 at 8:16:50 pm

You should have absolutely no problems. M-Audio stuff plays very nicely with Audition. AA 3.0 is coming soon, so you might wait until that comes out to do your testing. I can assure that your "pro audio tech" is misinformed about Audition's abilities. Audition is limited only by PC specs. If you're running a solid system with plenty of RAM, Audition is ideal. I've been working with pro audio for many years, and I can work with virtually any system on the market. Audition is my clear winner. I'm sure your audio tech would suggest Pro Tools LE or M-Powered, neither of which will perform to Audition's standards. Pro Tools is only worth a damn if it's a $10,000+ HD TDM system.

Emmett

Return to posts index

TalbotGrad
on Sep 10, 2007 at 2:26:20 pm

The engineer I spoke with is in agreement with you about pro tools. He prefers Cubase for his professional work, but has used Cool Edit/audition.

I can't quote him except in a general way. He multi track software has to have exceptional I/O data paths or you get in trouble. He thought Audition would be too puny, but perhaps it has improved since he tested it.

When I make a recommendation to purchase I need to have solid data to justify things.

I would suspect that the M-Adio delta card is some.what lower end for pro work. Do you agree?

Now, I doubt that I'll ever need more than 8 tracks and most of the time 4-6 will do.
Any suggestions are much appreciated!

THanks

Larry

Return to posts index

Emmett
on Sep 10, 2007 at 3:03:16 pm

Audition's routing was overhauled between versions 1.5 and 2.0. 2.0 (and soon 3.0) use ASIO drivers and both support multichannel recording as well as any other PC-based product.

Are we talking about the 1010 or the 1010LT? In terms of interaction with the program, they should be identical. However, the 1010 has balanced IO and a breakout box that will give you better overall sound quality (at twice the price). Both should be fine. If you're concerned about the most pristine sound, look toward the E-mu line. They are more complicated to set up, but the converters are second to none.

You might also look at something like the Focusrite Saffire line. Firewire-based and very good (plus you get a nice set of Focusrite preamps).

Emmett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]