FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dynamic Processing Filter

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TonymanDynamic Processing Filter
by on Apr 8, 2007 at 3:55:42 am

Does someone have some insight as to how this filter works? I have modified a filter preset called 'Classical Knee' and sometimes on crescendo passages, really loud sudden passages(quiet,bam,quiet), the notes drop out from the loud passages. Any ideas which parameters might control this.

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Dynamic Processing Filter
by on Apr 8, 2007 at 12:23:45 pm

It is a limiter try adjusting you settings ... The other thing you may want to experiment with is the hard liming feature instead of the filter you are currently using .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

TonymanRe: Dynamic Processing Filter
by on Apr 10, 2007 at 1:52:31 am

The symptoms I describe, is it effected by adjusting the attack or release parameters. The dynamic processor has an attack and release for both the input as well as output levels. The preset, 'Classical Knee', has a lookahead time set to 3ms rather than 15ms which is the usual. Is 3 ms more in sync with classical?

I know, I will eventually get to the Hard Limit Processing, but humor me with this one just once.

Return to posts index

EmmettRe: Dynamic Processing Filter
by on Apr 10, 2007 at 5:56:55 am

The preset name is "Classic Soft Knee" and has nothing to do with classical music. Generally, you wouldn't want to compress classical music at all.

I think it's important that you understand how dynamics processing works. The knee simply refers to the bend in the graphical plot. A "hard knee" would plot as two straight lines. A "soft knee" makes more of a curving shape.

Take the time to read the help file and some other material on compression. Understand attack, release, ratio and threshold and you'll have a much better idea of how everything functions.

Emmett

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2007 at 9:21:21 pm

I am a hobbyist and I will look at the help files more closely. About compressing classical music - I have used audition to normalize (and this may not be compression as you speak of it) a lot of my classical music and I hear sounds that were not so obvious on my original cds. Of course I would never throw the originals away.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2007 at 1:02:26 am

Here is a link for the DBX 266 page 7 has a couple of paragraphs that will help explain in more detail ......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

walid jacobRe: Dynamic Processing Filter
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:25:47 pm

need help for dynamic proccesor filter in cool edit pro2
how to compress +10 db from 0db to -6db & expand +10 db from -7db to -16 db in the same time need a number for 'input; output' release; attake; ratio ; threshold' thx you

Return to posts index

EmmettRe: Dynamic Processing Filter
by on Apr 11, 2007 at 3:41:16 am

Normalization doesn't alter the dynamics...It simply amplifies the entire file equally. Normalizing to 0dB (100%) is similar to turning the volume of your stereo up as loud as it will go without distorting. Compression makes the file more even, as far as dynamics are concerned. Normalization doesn't change the relative dynamics.

In addition to Willie's recommendadtion, also read iZotope's Ozone Mastering Guide: http://izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/OzoneMasteringGuide.PDF

While it's designed for Ozone and mastering, it's really good at explaining compression and limiting in terms that are easy to understand. If you're having trouble grasping something you read, skip it...This guide will really help you, and it's a good article for beginners and pros alike!

Emmett

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2007 at 2:49:46 pm

Thanks to the both of you. My problem was in the attack parameter for the input file. It was too small. I will also put these documents you refered me to to good use.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2007 at 12:50:25 pm

There is no absolut right way to set attack and release ... Attack and release controls operate together so to get the proper setting you need to experiment with the settings ... The more sound you have the longer the look ahead time I like to use ... I would use 12 to 15ms ... Attack is how long it takes the compressor to start compressing ... Release is when the compressor closes down ... I hope this helps ..... WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2007 at 3:41:31 pm

Glad we could be of service ... Again I would suggest you play with the hard limit it will fatten things up a bunch ........... WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]