FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice... an Audition equal on the mac

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
postman
Need advice... an Audition equal on the mac
on Feb 26, 2007 at 6:21:32 pm

Hello, at my current job I have a PC audio workstation sitting next to my mac. I use it to clean up voice overs and then mix with music, sound effects, etc. Basically, I'm a video editor doing audio.

Hopefully, in the very near future I will be moving into a situation were I will only have access to a mac. I'm try to wait for the mac version of audition, but I may need an alternative sooner.

I've looked at Logic Pro/Express and it seems to be a bit more than I need. I've never used Pro Tools, but it too seems to be more than I need.

I love Audition... it's like putting on a glove that just fits. It meets all the needs I have for audio cleanup and mixing and like I said earlier, if I can wait I will.

What is a good mac alternative?
I will be using a Mackie Onyx board with the FireWire option and also a new Intel Mac. Not sure which one yet, but it will be a new one.

Thanks for any and all input!
postman

Return to posts index

vitaminman
Re: Need advice... an Audition equal on the mac
on Feb 28, 2007 at 9:48:27 pm

Hey,

I am a fellow Audition user...on the Mac, I think the only thing that has both a waveform editor AND multi-track is Apple's Soundtrack Pro. In fact, I would even argue that their developers were 'inspired' by Audition (or maybe Cool Edit?).

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/

Take care,

Nick

Return to posts index

postman
on Mar 1, 2007 at 3:03:11 am

Thanks Nick... I've 'played' some in STP. I've only had it for a few months and have been swamped in FCP and After Effects creating a new graphics look for my TV station.

I use the Dynamics Prosessing and Hard Limiter frequently in Audition... are there equalivants in STP? I've looked for a Hard limiter type effect, but haven't found it yet.

Thanks for the reply!
postman

Return to posts index

vitaminman
on Mar 1, 2007 at 3:53:12 pm

Hey,

I have no idea, although I'm pretty certain that there are such plugins either built in or as 3rd party effects.

Come on you Mac users out there, tell him how cool it is that you can boot into XP and use Windows software on your Macs!!

Take care,

Nick

Return to posts index

diggum
on Mar 2, 2007 at 12:34:36 am

Adobe's newest audio application is an audio asset editor for video and motion graphics designers, and may do much of what you need. It is not a multi-track production system, or a highly technical sound analysis tool, as Audition is, but instead was designed to offer the power of Audition's features with a simplified interface. It is chiefly intended to clean up and restore existing audio tracks and sound effects, convert to various file formats, sample rates, bitrates, etc, and add effects.

There are lots of additional features that you may or may not find valuable for your needs - a "smart" automatic music composition tool, marker integration with Flash Video, Pitch and Time correction, Spectral editing, and more.

It's being written for both Windows and Intel Mac, and is currently in Public Beta over at http://labs.adobe.com/ It's called Adobe Soundbooth and is developed by the same team responsible for Audition. We're planning to release another beta version soon, which will likely be the last prior to the final release. I'd be very interested in getting your feedback as to what you like and don't like, especially as it compares to Audition.

Durin Gleaves
Adobe Audition / Adobe Soundbooth

Return to posts index

postman
on Mar 2, 2007 at 2:21:04 am

Thanks Durin. I've known about Soundbooth for a while... I just haven't had a chance to download it yet.
I will do so and send you some feedback.

I'm seriously considering getting Audition since I will more than likely use Windows XP on my mac via Parallels. I already have a lot investeed in PC versions of the Creative Suite.

Question... will Audition and/or Soundbooth work with Mackie's Onyx mixers?

Thanks for your input and help.
postman

Return to posts index

diggum
on Mar 2, 2007 at 4:00:23 pm

Audition will work with Mackie consoles, and any consoles that support Mackie Emulation or who have provided driver support in Audition. We made the SDK available to console manufacturers several years ago.

It sounds like you might have the experience to get the most of out Audition, so it may be a better solution overall. Soundbooth is great for quick edits and corrections, but Audition is a powerhouse for complex editing, multitracking, parameter envelopes, etc. But both have interfaces similar to the other Adobe DV applications, and are designed to work well with all of them.

Audition runs great under Parallels - just make sure you've got a lot of RAM and you should be impressed with the performance.

Return to posts index

postman
on Mar 3, 2007 at 2:03:27 am

Thanks, Durin. The Mackie support locks it up for me.
I will demo Soundbooth though... it looks very intriguing!

Thanks again for all of your input!
postman

Return to posts index

ron moody
on Mar 8, 2007 at 5:02:36 am

I use audition for two primary things (and it does both extremely well).

First, I use it as a tool to turn music from a CD into tracks to lie under a 30 second spot. To do that, I need to capture from CD, mark edit points, cut and paste together pieces to form a seamless 30 second track. So the elements I need are markers (f8 or * in Audition), capture from CD, cut and paste either to existing or a new track with undo.

Second, I use Audition to create simple spots with the track I just finished making on one layer, and a voice over on a second layer. I've used Sony's 2 track software to do this but it makes it a LOT harder than even the simplest multi track. So I'd have to say that a 'must have' is at least room for two layers of audio with fade in/out and effects on both. The way Audition does it to go to the individual track for editing (after a double click in multi-track) is so easy and quick, it makes me look good every time.

I use compression, lately using multi-band to great benefit, envelopes to adjust level, eq (with savable settings), normalization, and mixdown to two track stereo.

That's what I need. Will you give it to me? That's a long way from the full power of Audition, but it's the bare minimum of what I need. At this point, I don't think your new program will give me even this stripped down capability. But it IS what I need, at the very least.

I have a hunch. When Adobe had such a hard time with Audition 2.0, I think somebody made a choice. The choice was that it would be much easier to create a stripped down, cross platform program from scratch than to fix Audition, and port it to Vista and OSX. That's not the slant they pasted on the introduction of course, but I'll bet it's pretty close to the truth.

If I had a wish...
I would wish that Premiere, Audition or whatever, and Encore would be given the same development muscle as Photoshop Illustrator, and After Effects have. These three are leaders in their respective fields. Premiere is getting better, but it's still trying its hardest just to catch up. Audition appears to have been swapped for a stripped down clone, and Encore isn't even in the game. At this point I would swap some of the works well together capability of the suite for just 'works well'. Especially Encore.

'Bet you wish you hadn't asked. I use this stuff every day. I'm back to Premiere 1.5 because Adobe (despite numerous re-installs) hasn't been able to get Premiere 2 to work correctly again. It started acting wierd about six months ago. A guy in these forums was having the exact same trouble as me about a week ago. It made me feel like I wasn't alone.

Trimming an in or out point in Encore takes minutes of waiting on the computer while there is no indicaiton of anything happening, until the cursor returns. Premiere doesn't act that way on 30 minute files. Encore is a program DESIGNED to work with large files, at least in theory, but it doesn't do it well in reality. It's nice that it works well with Photoshop and After Effects. I just wish that it worked well on its own.

'Bet you think twice before asking for suggestions again.

Ron from Maui

Return to posts index

diggum
on Mar 8, 2007 at 4:39:01 pm

Actually, Ron, I'm very happy I asked. Your response leads me to this conclusion: we're on the right track with Soundbooth AND Audition.

From the details you give of your workflow and process, Soundbooth is probably not the tool for you. Soundbooth will do all of what you ask, with the exception of a multi-track mixer, and some of the CD ripping and burning tools. But it hasn't been designed for that workflow, either. It's purpose is to assist people who primarily work in other applications, but have a need for basic, intuitive audio editing and restoration. In addition to that, it has a powerful "stock" music creation tool that can rearrange, edit, and match music to other media. It has standard effects and processing tools, designed in a way that does not require a degree in Audio Engineering, but that does allow advanced configuration if and when a user desires to get into that.

Audition is, and will continue to be, an application for full-cycle production. From recording to mixing to mastering to production, it's purpose is very different from Soundbooth. Audition 2.0 has been one of the most successful releases to date, and the features we've got in store for Audition 3.0 have me very excited. It's true that it will remain Windows-only - if that will change in the future, I do not know. There may also come a time when we've built Soundbooth up to a point where it meets or surpasses Audition in functionality. We hope to do so, but with a user interface that does not appear so cluttered and intimidating as most high-end audio applications seem to new users. Where Audition puts every parameter and value into its tool interfaces and lets you tinker to find the right setting, Soundbooth was designed to "just work."

I do hear you on the interoperability between the Video applications - this can always be made better. I know Adobe is continuing to strengthen the link between each of the separate applications, and the long-term goal is to make that link practically invisible. While I don't know what problem you're experiencing with Premiere Pro 2.0, the LiveLink features that link it to After Effects and Encore are amazing. No unnecessary rendering, immediate updates, dynamic changes. PPro 2.0 also includes the clip notes feature which I am amazed hasn't been a standard feature in every application for years, it's so cool.

So your feedback has absolutely been welcomed. Our applications cannot get better or meet your needs if the teams creating them don't hear what those are. While all of us on the development teams use these programs every day, we do so from a different perspective. It never hurts to hear from the users who make our tools their careers, no matter if the news is good or bad.

Thanks,
Durin Gleaves, Quality Engineer
Adobe Soundbooth / Adobe Audition

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]