FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback cursor behavior

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim WilsonPlayback cursor behavior
by on Feb 15, 2007 at 8:48:26 am

Finally taking the plunge and starting to learn Audition! Aside from my head spinning at the differences between editing audio and video, I have a couple of quick and stupid questions.

1) When I press the spacebar to stop playback, the cursor goes back to where it began, rather than stopping where it is. I wasn't able to figure out in prefs, or find in help, if there's a way to change this. I typically press stop to make a cut at the endpoint, so this really gets on my nerves.

2) Is there a way to move the cursor by dragging anywhere besides the bottom time counter bar? I'm also changing to the selector tool, but I'd still rather be able to just grab it.

Both of those are very video-like behaviors of course. :-)

I know I'll be back with more, but I appreciate the help with these....

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Playback cursor behavior, and peak levels
by on Feb 15, 2007 at 9:14:30 am

[Tim Wilson] "2) Is there a way to move the cursor by dragging anywhere besides the bottom time counter bar? I'm also changing to the selector tool, but I'd still rather be able to just grab it."

Okay, ignore that one. Reading it again, it doesn't sound like what I meant to ask, and besides, I figured it out. :-)

While I'm here, I'll ask one more. I ran a hard limiter filter in Edit view to set peaks at -1. But when I get to Multitrack view, the clips all peak at -3. Any way to avoid adjusting them all when I get back to Multitrack view....or should I be doing all my filtering there?

thx,
tw

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Playback cursor behavior, and peak levels
by on Feb 15, 2007 at 11:41:48 am

Tim,

When you bring that file back to the edit side are you still at -3? 2.0 does have issues when it comes to mixdowns you can correct by simply taking the sessions main mixer and bumping it up by 2 db ... FYI ... Hard Limiting should be the very last thing you do before saving the finished mix and in most cases should be reserved for the finished mix and not each track of the mix since over limiting can really play havok with dynamic's ........... WILLIE

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Playback cursor behavior, and peak levels
by on Feb 15, 2007 at 1:38:51 pm

I actually just figured out the levels thing. It's in the sequence's advanced settings. The Panning option for Center, Constant Power (I like it) has a -3dB limiter (oops). Even though I have no idea what L/R Cut Logarithmic means, when I chose it, my -1dB limiter works.

And yes, I'm being increasingly delicate with the limiter. :-)

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Playback cursor behavior, and peak levels
by on Feb 15, 2007 at 1:42:10 pm

Cool! If you have anyother quesations feelfrretowrite ... WILLIE

Return to posts index

diggumRe: Playback cursor behavior, and peak levels
by on Feb 22, 2007 at 5:56:00 pm

I responded a few minutes ago to a different thread, but there's an explanation of what the mixing Panning Law is over at http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/panning_laws/ that can answer some of the more audio-nerd questions about it.

The gist is that hardware mixers used to have linear pan controls so when you were centered, as opposed to panned hard right or left, both channels were at full volume, in effect doubling the amplitude of that track. (A doubling of audio power = +3dB gain.) The Panning Law was devised to reduce the amplitude at center by -3dB to compensate. This became less of an issue with Logarithmic pots and controls, but most audio applications continue to use this because it's still common on hardware mixers, and there's a lot of crusty old Audio Engineers who would be shocked, SHOCKED, if it weren't there.

You found the option to change the behavior, so my work here is DONE!

Durin Gleaves
Adobe Audition

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]