FORUMS: list search recent posts

weird panning problem with Audition on laptop

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
norrumba
weird panning problem with Audition on laptop
on Feb 7, 2007 at 8:52:56 pm

Hi, I hope someone can help with this please,...been using Audition 1.0 for several eyars, bacj when it was CEP.... been using it on my desktop, and my laptop to some extent. Had to migrate a large project off the desktop to make hard drive room, burned it all to DVD. Brought it over to the laptop to work on it there. resaved all the files and sessions so they are not read only, etc.
all is good except the stereo imaging on the laptop is way way off, and the volume is also affected. Im mixing under headphones at this stage of the project. In multitrack, moving a mono track from center to hard right yields its furthest positioning, sound wise, around 20 (not100). 100 on the program actually sounds as center full volume. Moving the slider to the center yields a low-volume distant sound.
This reminds me a little bit of how a stereo signal behaves in the channel mixer effect, but thats not being applied here in multi track.
I think it may have something to do with the laptop itself, as the meter strip corresponds with what the meter slider is would indicate.Before redoing the mix , I burned a new mixdown to CD - the original settings are accurate, its just the playbacks all weird. Checked laptop sound card system settings, experimented with the different speaker placement options in control panel, nothing made a difference as far as the panning goes.
any ideas please?
many many thanks!
msd

carry joy - build hope - offer love
M. Stefan Dill

Return to posts index

diggum
Re: weird panning problem with Audition on laptop
on Feb 22, 2007 at 5:28:13 pm

Hi norrumba,

That is a weird problem. Built-in laptop drives are rarely the pinnacle of high-end audio hardware, but they certainly shouldn't behave like that!

My first suggestion would be to see if the same behavior occurs when using a different audio device. If you have access to or can borrow a USB sound device of some kind, it would be interesting to know if the same problem occurs when playing back through that. If so, we can feel certain the problem lies in either the application or the system at this point. If not, then it's definitely like that the laptop sound device is the culprit.

If it turns out to be the laptop's audio, there may be some settings in the audio control panel that is affecting this. A lot of these have special features like 3-D Sound enhancement, Spatial settings, etc, that are generally horrible. I'd recommend checking for, and disabling any of these, so that the sound that comes out the headphone jack is as pure and untouched as possible. Audition 1.0 didn't yet have the concept of a master track, so it's not an issue of having some pan or effects settings hidden at the end of the chain.

I'd also suggest, as a quick test, starting a new session, importing a few of the audio tracks from the old session, and doing a quick mix test to see if the problem still occurs.

Good luck and please let me know the results!
Durin Gleaves
Adobe Audition

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]