FORUMS: list search recent posts

cant merge punch in audition 2.0

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ausrodcant merge punch in audition 2.0
by on Jan 19, 2007 at 12:47:06 pm

hello,

i hope someone can help. up until now i have used audition 1.5 and unless i find a remedy for this prob i will be going back to it. with 2.0 i can punch in as usual, same as with 1.5. problem is when i try to merge it it just wont let me. ive been trying for literally hours, reading the unhelpfull (regarding this anyway) manual and it wont work when i do this. i was hoping that it would just be as simple as destructive merge as with 1.5 and that was that. also 1.5 would soften the edges for you too when doing this. if anyone has managed to get punch to merge back into one simple track which is all im after any help would be greatly appreciated. ive tried different selection tools going near the edge of the punch on the edge of the punch, unchecking punch and trying, the merge button just doesnt become available. i can split it anywhere and rejoin it with the merge function, but can merge a punch no matter what i try. i really like the look of it, but if its harder to do than actually splicing a tape, it defeats the purpose. the old way (1.5) was great. if it can be done, which somehow im sure it can, does it soften the edges as in 1.5, or is that another process to get the blend? please help, sending me mad.

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: cant merge punch in audition 2.0
by on Jan 19, 2007 at 3:55:55 pm

My best suggestion is go back to using 1.5 and forget about 2.0 until Adobe addresses it's issues, which by the way are many ... If they take the time to do so 2.0 could be just an awesome program but I think you will see them phase it out in favor of the watered down version, (sound booth) that they are releasing ... I really hope that I am wrong but only time will tell, till there is a solution one way or the other 1.5 is our only option ... Personally I really think Adobe should refund the money spent on this version or at the very least give us credit for a free download of the next upgrade if there ever is one .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

diggumRe: cant merge punch in audition 2.0
by on Jan 26, 2007 at 4:36:43 pm

Hi Willie,

I'm on the development team for Audition and Soundbooth, and was hoping you'd be willing to share your issues and concerns with Audition 2.0. At the very least I can make sure they're adequately prioritized in our database for when we begin working on Audition 3.0, and at best, maybe we can determine solutions or workarounds in 2.0.

Also, I want to reassure you that Soundbooth is not intended to be a watered-down replacement for Audition. While it IS replacing Audition in the video production suite, Audition will remain a stand-alone application for Audio professionals. We found that most users who purchased the Production Studio suite, did so for the video editing tools and that the primary users of Audition purchased it separately. Video and Flash designers felt intimidated by Audition, and either relegated audio to an afterthought in their projects, or sent it out to third parties. Soundbooth's goal is to help these folks perform the majority of their audio needs, cleaning noise and artifacts, basic EQ and effects, minor edits, in a format that they're comfortable with.

Audition will continue to be a hub for audio professionals who don't break a sweat at panning laws and phase correction. There are already a lot of new features completed for Audition 3.0 and several more in the design phase. But new features don't matter if there's fundamental usage problems you're facing.

I hope to hear from you and discuss this further,
Durin Gleaves
QE Adobe Audition, Adobe Soundbooth

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2007 at 5:46:05 pm

Durin,

I want to thank you for responding ... My issues with 2.0 were numerous from freezing up to just shutting down completely and not being able to recover the session ... I was really bummed since I felt that the program had reach the next generation in audio software ... I thought maybe my problems with 2.0 were related to my 32 bit machine but I built a new 64 bit machine this week and 2.0 won't even load up ... On the first install it got as far as loading the adobe bridge and then froze ... Now it won't load past after asking what language you want ... I have deleted it via add and remove programs and it still won't load ... Maybe it's just my karma for not supporting it ... Is there any beta's available for 3.0? If you would like to contact me personally you can E-mail me at loganonestudio@aol.com ... Thanks again for your responce .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2007 at 6:41:21 pm

I've spent some time this morning reading through the forum posts and it looks like a lot of the issues that have been brought up are ones we're pretty familiar with and intend to resolve with Audition 3.0. Performance of the real-time mix engine is not as optimal as we'd like, and without a truckload of ram and CPU, it doesn't take a lot of audio tracks and real-time effects to start getting a performance hit during playback and record. We're not happy with the support for many third-party VST's, and are going to look at improving that as well.

We're already addressing these things for the next version. We'd also like to address usability or workflow issues, since the UI changed so dramatically in Audition 2.0. For the most part the response to the new UI and mixer have been extremely positive, but even minor changes can break some people's standard procedures.

Maybe I'll start a thread on it next week when I have more time to post, but I'd like to collect specific issues from folks. The more comprehensive and detailed reports I can get, the better the chance I have of getting them addressed.

And we do have an Audition beta testing program, although it's inactive right now until full development begins again. As we get closer to getting that back up and running, I'll see about getting you involved.

Thanks, Willie.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2007 at 12:34:38 pm

It pleases me to hear that Adobe is working hard to improve Audition ... Just so you know all of the problems I had were associated with recording on new sessions ... I would record a couple of tracks, no effects, then it would freeze or shut down completely and would not recover ... I could deal with it but when it happened to a couple of clients I needed to go back to 1.5 ... Can you give me any insight on getting 2.0 installed on my new computer? Thanks for your help ... I am looking forward to 3.0 and possibly a chance to test the beta ... I think I will form a new 12 step program called DBA 2.0, (don't bash Audition) ... Thanks again ............ WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2007 at 7:06:35 pm

Loving "bashing" from supportive users is great - there's no sense in us working on a program if our users don't enjoy the application. Constructive criticism is part of the job, and as a member of the Quality Assurance team, it's basically my job description.

There's several potential causes of lockups during recording, though it's not a common occurrence. What sound device are you recording with, and which driver are you using? (If it is an ASIO-capable device, is Audition configured to use the ASIO driver, or is it using the default ASIO wrapper we install in order to support older, DirectSound and WDM devices?) What is the latency set to? And how many channels are you recording to simultaneously? Are your session files recording to a local hard drive, or is it a USB or similar external drive?

I know that during testing, we ran some pretty rigorous load tests on the application in order to backup some of our marketing claims. I believe we had up to 64 inputs recording simultaneously, with several lower-powered effects, before we could really make it glitch, but even then, we weren't getting freezes or crashes - it was more dropouts related to disk speed. (This was done a year and a half ago, so don't expect this to be accurate if I'm subpoenaed :)

Can you explain the problem you're having on the 64-bit system? I know that one of our testers, Charles, did a lot of work with Windows XP 64-bit and Audition 2.0, and got most of the compatibility problems fixed. It doesn't take advantage of the 64-bit architecture, but it certainly should function just fine.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2007 at 5:40:24 pm

It could have been my config, but it was the same config as 1.5 ... I don't recall if I was using a USB drive or not ... I use a Layla 24/96 in conjunction with my Allan & Heath mixing board ... I don't normally record more than 2 tracks at a time, (my target market is acoustic musicians) and never apply any effects until mixing ... My problem with loading 2.0 into my new system is as follows ...

On the first install it loaded as far as adobe bridge install when my computer locked up ... I restarted and tried a new install after removing via the add & remove programs ... Now it won't load pass where it asks you what language you want ... My new system is an AMD 4400 with 2 gig's of ram, a gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 NF4 SLI AM2 motherboard, and a BFG BFGR76256GTOCE 7600GT 256M video card ... Hope you can give me some insight ... WILLIE THE BASHER

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2007 at 5:51:05 pm

The Layla cards are great, and is one of the main devices we use in our studio lab. It should absolutely be able to handle a nice chunk of tracks without problems. I would suggest going into Edit -> Audio Hardware Setup and making certain Audition is configured to use the Layla's ASIO driver from the manufacturer, and is not defaulting to the "Audition Windows Sound" wrapper, which is a band-aid for older cards and will give nowhere near the power or speed of the Layla's native driver.

As for the installation issues on the 64-bit system, when it reaches the point of asking which language you'd like to install, does it just disappear? Or is the failure to install a little more or less graceful? We can troubleshoot it back and forth over these forums, but I'd strongly recommend taking advantage of the free installation technical support Adobe offers at 1-800-642-3623. Those guys are on top of it and know just about every little problem that comes up during installation. I'm good with the application itself, but they know the installer inside out, and if they can't fix it while on the phone, will figure it out and call you back. I went down to their call center a year ago and was really impressed with the guys working the phones for us.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2007 at 7:50:28 pm

I certainly do love my layla but with the new computer it's a non issue until I purchase a newer model ... I will do as you suggested and call the guys on the support line, but just to answer your question, yes it goes away and shows no error message after asking for language ... I really appreciate you helping out with the forum as well, I have been the only one for almost 2 years and when I go on location to shoot my TV show I feel bad that no one else is here to help ......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2007 at 4:26:50 pm

Hi ausrod,

You can merge those clips to a new track by selecting them and bouncing them to a new track. you can then replace the old clips with the new bounced version. Select the main clip and your punch-in clips, right click and choose "Bounce to New Track" -> "Selected Audio Clips" A new track will be created immediately under the current one with your merged audio.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]