FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audiomastering of Videofile with varying Audiolevels

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
menonerd
Audiomastering of Videofile with varying Audiolevels
on Dec 18, 2006 at 10:29:53 am

Hi everyone,

i have a 100 min video file which was assembled from various pieces of footage with varying audio levels. i do not have access to the initial pieces of footage nor the relating premiere projects but i need a quick (!) way to have all levels roughly the same so there won't be any signifficant volume changes throughout the film. think of a loooong wave file with inconsistant volume levels.
is there a tool or filter in audition which could help me on my way, maybe a compressor or some kind of "scenewise normalising"? i wouldnt want to work my way though every single scene...
i am more of a video and authoring guy, so please be gentle :-)

kind regards,
m.

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Audiomastering of Videofile with varying Audiolevels
on Dec 18, 2006 at 12:00:24 pm

Try the "NORMALIZE" filter ... Go to EFFECTS > AMPLITUDE > NORMALIZE ... This filter will cut the peaks ... I would set it to match your LOWEST volume ... Once you have everything normalized you can then readjust the gain on the clip to where you would like ... I think this may cure a lot of your problem but you may have to highlight and tweak sections ... Personally speaking I don't feel a "one click fix" is really the best way to go in most cases sometimes you just have to but the time in to make it right ... I do hope the normalize does the job for you .... WILLIE

Return to posts index

menonerd
on Dec 18, 2006 at 3:28:48 pm

thanks willie,
thing is i tried it just the other way around - normalizing to the level i want the final clip to have. this resulted in some sections still being quite low leveled because the effect takes the peak levels of the 'loudest' sections as a reference. peaks ('spikes' if you like) in some sequences resulted in the same problem, which is why i applied a hard limiting effect beforehand. does this make sense?

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Dec 18, 2006 at 3:48:03 pm

The way you did it kind of compounds the problem ... Hard limit default is a 6db boost so if you didn't change that to zero you added 6db acrossed the board, this is why I suggested to make things match the lowest level using the normalizing filter ... Try to go backwards and normalize to the lowest levels and then do another hard limit, (one of my favorite fliters by the way) ... Becareful with your hard limit since you can really blow the dynamic's all to heck but a second hard limit should be ok to do ............ WILLIE

Return to posts index

menonerd
on Dec 18, 2006 at 5:24:43 pm

hmm, i tried your approach (or at least what i understood you ment) but it did not do the trick for me, in fact it did not make any difference at all...
i did the following:
normalize the whole wav down to -21 dB (lowest level thoughout whole file) and then normalize again to 0 dB. Result: nearly the original wave file.
i guess this makes sense as the highest level is always the reference for the normalize action thoughout the whole file (or not?) and the proportions dont change when i apply "normalize" equally to the whole file. i would need something like a "individual normalize" instead of a "global" one.
a screenshot of my file can be found here

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Dec 18, 2006 at 5:31:55 pm

OK, you can't use normalize after you normalize to the lowest volume, you would need to use the Amplify to bring the gain up ... If you highlight a low section you can work on just that section ... When I get home tonight I will look at your file and give you some more direction if you haven't got it by then .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Dec 19, 2006 at 12:57:01 am

Just highlight the parts you want to bring the gain up on and you will be good to go ............ WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]