FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delay on Monitoring

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
syhprum
Delay on Monitoring
on Nov 28, 2006 at 11:50:47 am

I am using 2.0. I am using the onboard sound card and I am simply plugging the microphone into the mic-in port on the computer. I am using Audition Mix for my monitoring. When I speak into the mic, I get a delay in the headphones of nearly half a second. How do I get rid of this dealy?

Thanks,

Doug

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Delay on Monitoring
on Nov 28, 2006 at 3:12:45 pm

Doug,

I have never ran into this problem but I am thinking it may be 2.0 ... I used the same setup, with the exception of going through an outboard mixing board for years and never had this problem ... The onboard sound is it a blaster or simular card or is it actually intergrated into the mother board? I know this may not be it, but just to eliminate check the mixer in your soundcard, the windows mixer, and options in Audition to make sure the single path is routed properly ... Where do you have your headphones plugged into? Should be directly connected to the audio out on the soundcard ... You may want to try to uninstall and re-install Audition ... Let me know what you find out ......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

syhprum
on Jan 12, 2007 at 6:45:13 am

Willie, thanks for the response. I have yet to get back to Audition since I posted this message but I did want to thank you for sharing some of your thoughts.

I was using an outboard mixer too (M-Audio Firewire Solo) and it worked fine with that. But when I went back to just the internal card, I had this delay issue. I installed Audition on two different computers and it did the same thing (so I doubt a re-install will help). My laptops are an HP Media Center and Sony Vaio, so odds are the card is integrated into the motherboards. I did check all the options on the Windows mixer, and still did not help. Headphones are plugged into the standard headphone jack on the side of the laptop, as direct as I can go. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Doug

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Jan 12, 2007 at 11:53:30 am

Doug,

It seems that if you did an install on 2 different systems with the same results I am thinking software and or the audio cards on the motherboards have latency issues, this would explained why it worked with the firewire solo ... Do you have access to a copy of Audition 1.5? Another way to go is if you have a blaster card that you can install in your computer, I know this won't help the laptop issue but it may explain it ............ WILLIE

Return to posts index

syhprum
on Jan 13, 2007 at 5:32:22 am

Willy,

No, I do not have access to 1.5 and the sound blaster card won't help as I am dealing with laptops. I guess I cdould try to install a soundcard via my PCMCIA slot and see if that works - thoughts?

The funny thing is that when I first installed 2.0, BEFORE I loaded M-Audio, I recall NOT having the latency issue with just going direct (not positive but I think it did work). So I thought if I uninstalled M-Audio it might come back, but it didn't. However, now that I think about it, maybe now that M-Audio is uninstalled, I still have to re-install AA 2.0 - thoughts?

db

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Jan 13, 2007 at 1:44:10 pm

Doug,

Just curious, if things were good with the M audio devise why are you not using it anymore? I would do a search and make sure there are no lingering files from the devise then unistall and reinstall 2.0 it's worth a shot ... If you would like a copy of 1.5, E-mail me at loganonestudio@aol.com and I will help you out ... WILLIE

Return to posts index

syhprum
on Jan 13, 2007 at 9:56:32 pm

Just curious, if things were good with the M audio devise why are you not using it anymore? I would do a search and make sure there are no lingering files from the devise then unistall and reinstall 2.0 it's worth a shot ... If you would like a copy of 1.5, E-mail me at loganonestudio@aol.com and I will help you out ... WILLIE

Willie,

It is a hassle to set up. I have to plug it in, hook up the cables, etc. I just want toi quickly plug in a mic and record some basic tunes I write. If I do bigger sessions, it is fine, but I seldom do bigger sessions. Good idea on the search. I'll do that and then un and re install and see what happens. If no solution, then we can chat about 1.5.

Thanks so much,

Doug

Return to posts index

diggum
on Jan 26, 2007 at 5:20:15 pm

Hi Doug,

You can try adjusting the latency of the onboard sound device a few ways. First, under Edit->Audio Hardware Setup, open the Control Panel and double click in the "Buffer Size" fields for your selected output and input ports. The driver defaults to 2048 samples, but your device may be able to go much lower - especially if you're not listening to several other tracks or using real-time effects during recording. Double click those fields and change it to 512 for a start. If you experience dropouts, you may need to raise it to 1024. If there's no dropouts, you can even go lower: 256 or 128. Test it out until you get dropouts, then reel it back a bit.

You may also want to check out a free application called ASIO4ALL (google it.) It's an ASIO-wrapper for non-ASIO devices like the Audition Windows Sound driver is, however the developer has done an amazing job at reducing apparent latency in slower audio devices. Once installed, Audition sees it as an ASIO driver and it's control panel lets you configure ports and latency settings pretty in-depth.

The M-Audio device was using it's native ASIO drivers, which are MUCH faster than almost any on-board sound device will be. True ASIO drivers allow applications direct access to the hardware without needing to go through Windows' slow WDM and MME drivers.

Return to posts index

syhprum
on Jan 26, 2007 at 10:07:07 pm

thanks diggum, sounds like some great suggestions. I will try those and keep the group posted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]