FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help and advice needed for recording a charity single on Audition.....

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard JayHelp and advice needed for recording a charity single on Audition.....
by on Nov 11, 2006 at 11:31:59 pm

Hi, I am fairly new to using Audition as I mainly do video work. I am trying to record a single for my niece that she intends to sell for charity.

Could anybody tell me or point me to a link with a tutorial perhaps, that will allow me to:

1. Play a backing track from my PC through 2 or 3 pairs of headphones while I am,
2. Recording them singing through a microphone connected to the line in.
3. Allow me to playback through the headphones the backing track and them singing and record a third track of them singing more vocals.
4. I need to be able to for example, delete track 3 (extra vocals) and let them do it again so everytime I record I need to to just record the mic and not the backing track and the mic etc.

I have a Windows PC, Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz, 2GB, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card with line out, line in and mic in, a Behringer Eurorack UB2222FX-Pro mixing desk. If you think I need any extra stuff I have CD-Players etc. and pretty much every combination of leads to connect everything to everything (I just don't know how!)

Also, am I best adding reverb to the vocals on the mixing desk before going into the PC or putting it on with Audition afterwards???

I really appreciate any help on this at all.

Cheers

Richard

Return to posts index

Richard JayRe: Help and advice needed for recording a charity single on Audition.....
by on Nov 11, 2006 at 11:50:16 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention - should I let them hear themselves singing through the headphones aswell as the backing track or just the backing track and if I should - how do I do it??

Thanks

Richard

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Help and advice needed for recording a charity single on Audition.....
by on Nov 12, 2006 at 1:18:20 am

Richard,

OK I will attempt to help you here but I would also suggest reading the help file on a multi track sessions ... The headphone issue first ... You need to rent purchase or borrow a headphone amp, Here is a link that may help http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-MINIAMP-AMP800-4Channel-St... this will give you the ability to have multi headphones on one output ... ALWAYS, I repeat ALWAYS record dry and add any effects after ... The reason, if you record with effects you can't change it ... For the basic info on a multi track sessions again I refer you to the help section I can't suggest this strongly enough it will make helping you much easier ... I check the site a couple of times a day so I will help where I can ...

WILLIE

Return to posts index

Richard JayRe: Help and advice needed for recording a charity single on Audition.....
by on Nov 12, 2006 at 11:23:39 am

Hi Willie, Thanks for your reply. I think I will buy one of the Behringer AMP800 headphone amps as that will come in useful again!

I will read the help section on Audition when I get home later, but in the meantime - is my Soundblaster Audigy capable of doing this job by playing and recording at the same time and multi-tracking as somebody had suggested it might not and I should get a new soundcard, they suggested the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. Would this be better quality and do the job better than my Audigy?

Thanks again Willie, I will come back after reading the help section on multitracking.

Richard

Return to posts index

by on Nov 12, 2006 at 11:42:49 am

Sorry Willie, just thought of another question....

My Mixer, Behringer UB2222FX-Pro says it has a 2/2bus, is this the same as an alt3-4 bus? Can I listen to my pc and just send one channel back to the pc to be recorded? The link for mixer is http://www.behringer.com/UB2222FX/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Cheers

Richard

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Help and advice needed for recording a charity single on Audition.....
by on Nov 12, 2006 at 3:52:43 pm

Richard,

OK, your soundcard is just fine, I used a basic soundblaster card for a long time just use the line in and outs ... I helped a friend set his studio up with the 3/4 board and it does a nice job ... After reading the manual it looks like you should plug the headphone amp into the aux sends 1 refer to 2.3.2 of your manual ... The difference between your board and the 3/4 is that you don't have as many signal paths that you can use ... Hope this helps ............ WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2006 at 11:57:19 am

Hi Willie,

Ok, I have now recieved my Behringer HPhone Amp!! Lovely looking piece of kit.

I am having trouble connecting it. I have plugged a pair of headphones directly into the aux send 1 to see exactly what comes out of there and I hear left and right channels combined in my left ear and nothing in the right. Can you see in the manual a stereo output for this application? I have a stereo to 2 mono jack lead and 2 mono to 2 mono jack lead so I can connect either to the headphone amp. I do have a headphone socket on the desk but if I adjust my monitor levels or what is fed to them on the desk this will impact the headphones which ideally I don't want.

My other option is to feed aux2 to the right channel of the headphones so you hear both channels in both ears (hope that makes sense)!

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rich.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2006 at 12:20:42 pm

Richard,

The manual says it's a mono out ... I don't see why you can't use the Aux 2 out as well ... The other option would be using the tape out ... Either way you should be good to go .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

Richard JayRe: I Think I'm Nearly There!!
by on Nov 15, 2006 at 5:40:12 pm

Hi Willie

Thanks for all this help, I couldn't have got this far without it! And I think I'm nearly there now!

I have the headphones working and I have the mixing desk connected and I can record tracks etc. while listening to the PC back through my mixing desk.

I just have a couple more questions, I hope you don't mind???

1. For a compressor, should I use Audition (if it has one) or use the one built into my mixing desk for the vocals when recording them?

2. Should I have just the backing music in the headphones or let them hear themselves singing aswell as the hearing the backing music?

3. Can I output the track being recorded back to the mixing desk while it is being recorded to play in the main mix and how? At the moment, while a track is being recorded I can only hear the other tracks that have been recorded and the backing music playing - does that make sense?

Thanks again

Rich

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: I Think I'm Nearly There!!
by on Nov 16, 2006 at 1:34:57 am

Richard,

Outboard compression is a must on vocals, I use a stereo DBX 166 compressor/limitor ... I like to run the mic into one channel and then run the output of that channel into the other channel then to my board ... You may be wondering why ... When a limitor works it's like a gate opening and closing and if you set it too high you can hear it "breathing" on your recording ... Running it like I do means you can get all the limiting and compression you need without hearing it breath ... I am not sold on built in compressors but when it's all you have go for it ... Be careful not to compress more then 3 or 4 to 1, even that may be too much ... Personally I don't worry about hearing what I am doing at the time but what is important is hearing what you are playing and or singing to ... I think you are ready to really get your feet wet ... I'll be waiting to hear your finished project ... Read up on HARD LIMITING it can really be a great friend ... Also remember when using verb on vocals unless it is intended for a certain sound you are going for the verb should hardly be detectable when played in the mix ... Verb is used to fatten the vocal not overpower the mix ...... WILLIE

Return to posts index

Richard JayRe: I Think I'm Nearly There!!
by on Nov 16, 2006 at 3:17:09 pm

Cheers Willie

My other 2 questions at the moment were:

1. Should I have just the backing music in the headphones or let them hear themselves singing aswell as the hearing the backing music?

and

2. Can I output the track being recorded back to the mixing desk while it is being recorded to play in the main mix and how? At the moment, while a track is being recorded I can only hear the other tracks that have been recorded and the backing music playing - does that make sense?

Cheers

Richard

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: I Think I'm Nearly There!!
by on Nov 16, 2006 at 3:27:28 pm

Richard,

Don't worry about listening to what you are recording if you are the recordee, the only thing they need to hear is what you are playing and or signing to ... You should be able to route everything to your headphone ... If you are the one workin the buttons and knobs, (now that is some real techy talk there) then of course you would want to hear everything going on ... Now quit stallin and get to that recordin (<-:) WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]