FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loaded Load meter- sputter-sputter

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BpeteFLA
Loaded Load meter- sputter-sputter
on Sep 16, 2006 at 7:01:58 pm

My Audition 1.5 and I are having stress in our relationship. Is there counsel from other Audition'ers to be had?
All our troubles are taking place in the Multitrack view. There are strong signs of the discontent.

1. Outward signs: The load meter is pegging. Then the sputtering begins. After testing this seems to occur mainly when the Parametric equalizer is applied. Other filters do not seem to invoke the problem.

2. Past clues: I've always had some problems with Audition and this system from the beginning. But mostly it's been a matter of having too much going on at once in the Multitrack view. I've completed about 18 chapters in the 30 chapter show. Too many real time filters along with the video playing, etc., solved or worked around by locking tracks and twiddling with the setting, but now it gotten worse. Now I can't work with it.

3. Some facts: Dell computer, 2.8 P4. 1 gig of RDram, ATI Radeon 128 9700. No SATA drives but a load of USB's from 80 gig to 250 gig, plugged and unplugged as needed. Video edit is via Premiere 6.5 with a Canopus Storm2 setup. No antivirus, no Internet connection, no unneeded background programs running. ProCoder is installed. The sound card is a Turtle Beach and it shares IRQ 18 with one of the USBs. The other USB is on 17 and shares with something else.

4. I've tried and tried, but alas: I've removed the video from the project, nope didn't help. I've switched the project to different external drives ... nope. I started anew with a project with only the one voice track from the project (8 minutes long). Tried it on my internal D drive. Checked C drive for fragmentation. Nope and nope.
I can't seem to do anything to make Audition happy if I use the parametric equalizer (it came with Audition). And use the Parametric I must. I have over 30 presets built for the various people that appear in the show. There are 30 chapters to the DVD and some of the same people are scattered about the project. I even ran the "repair" feature of Audition ... nope.

5. Something stranger still: Now if I take this exact same project and pull it in on my partners laptop it runs fine, Parametric Equalizers and all. So it's happy with the project, just not with me and my computer. The laptop is a 3.0 P4. I don't know what Audition sees in it that I don't have. It has a slower HD (5400), it's memory type is inferior and it's graphics card ... Ha ... not even close. And it's just running on the C drive there. But still it runs happily over there and refuses to cooperate at home on my system.

6. More trying: I've shifted buffer sizes and increased/decreased different suggested settings. Nothing seems to help. The windows Task Manager Performance windows shows plenty of memory left as the sputtering and staggering occurs, but shows the CPU usage at a 100% and it refuses to come down.

Any Help please ... this is coming at a critical time (doesn't it always), the project is falling badly behind deadline and I've been fighting it for two days (till 3 AM last night) to the exclusion of getting any mixing done. Maybe by saying something, others will be inspired to come forward.

Thanks,
Bpete

Return to posts index

Blast1
Re: Loaded Load meter- sputter-sputter
on Sep 19, 2006 at 9:19:15 pm

[BpeteFLA] "The laptop is a 3.0 P4. I don't know what Audition sees in it that I don't have. It has a slower HD (5400), it's memory type is inferior and it's graphics card ... Ha ..."
The HD disk may have better throughput than your USB drives, the density of the data passing under the head per period has more to do with it than the speed, The USB sytem depending on how many things you have hanging on it can be slow and erratic, Memory whether slower or faster doesn't have much to do with it if it meets the CPU's throughput demands, A graphics card has little to do with it if it meets the required standards for display and maybe not so demanding on CPU resources

[BpeteFLA] "The windows Task Manager Performance windows shows plenty of memory left as the sputtering and staggering occurs, but shows the CPU usage at a 100% and it refuses to come down."
The clue is in the CPU usage, is your 2.8 hyperthreaded? alot of older RDram systems weren't, your friends laptop maybe hyperthreaded, this can give up to a 15%boost in processing power making a 3.0 processor look like a 3.4

Have you tried the Adobe's Audition support site: http://www.adobe.com/support/products/audition.html
There maybe a answer to your problem there.

You can also optimize windows to reduce system services to reduce CPU load.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]