FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't hear what I'm recording, why?

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JoeMoeCan't hear what I'm recording, why?
by on May 18, 2006 at 7:08:02 pm

I'm new to Audition. I have alot of experience recording and I'm wondering why can't I hear what is being inputed into the program? The peak indicators are responding but there is no sound. After I record I play the track back and you can hear it fine through the monitors but while I'm recording or just getting levels I can't hear anything. . I think that's so odd if that is the default.

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Can't hear what I'm recording, why?
by on May 18, 2006 at 7:51:08 pm

I would check to see that your playback source is the same as your record monitor source, sounds like you have a spark gap ... This isn't Auditions defaul ... What are you using for a sound card? Do you have an external mixer? I need to know more about your setup before I can help you zero in on where your problem is ........... WILLIE

Return to posts index

JoeMoeRe: Can't hear what I'm recording, why?
by on May 18, 2006 at 7:57:58 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. I have no external mixer (I'm just playing around at the moment. I'm going straight into the sound card. I don't know exactly what sound card I have. I can tell you that my computer is only about a month old. It's a Media center dell so I'm sure the sound card is probably really up tp date and probably very capable. I'll check back with you to see if this is enough info. If not I'll try to get the exact sound card for you. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

by on May 18, 2006 at 10:54:14 pm

Where do you have your headphones to monitor your recording plugged into? you may need to go to the mixer for the sound card and make sure your headphone out isn't muted if you are using that out for your headphones ... Check the mixer in Audition, (go to the bottom of the master track and make sure it's being routed through your sound card ... Right now I am leaning towards a muted headphone out either on your soundcard or on the windows mixer ... Let me know what you find ... If you are going to do a lot of recording I would suggest getting a multi channel soundcard there are a ton to choose from, I heard good things about the presonus firepod ... Here is a link ...

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-PRS-FIREPOD.html

Let me know what you find out ........ WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2006 at 3:43:26 pm

Thanks for writing back. Well I checked the Windows mixer and all the volumes were up and nothing was muted. As far as monitoring goes I'm not using headphones right now I'm using my computer monitors (just messing around trying to learn the program). Now you mentioned checking out the mixer in Audition so I clicked the mixer button it popped up and took a look at the master track and didn't see any button or anywhere that gave me an option to make sure it's routed through my sound card. Maybe you might be able to give a brief walk through? I am still confused about if things aren't routed correctly or muted why I would be able to hear the playback but not me recording the part. Thanks

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2006 at 4:15:08 pm

At the bottom of the master track there is a window and it should list your soundcard ... You might want to look at the help file because everything you are asking is addressed at length ... I have 2.0 but have experienced it being a bit unstable and because of that issue I have continued using 1.5 ... Did you get a tutorial DVD with the program? You can also go the the left side of each track and set up routing ........ WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2006 at 4:36:19 pm

Hey Willie. Thanks. So if I go to the window tab then click on mixer it brings up the mixer. On the left side of that window is the master track so I look at the bottom of it but I see no window for routing there is just a little upside down arrow for the volume and that's all I see. This must be getting a little old for you. I looked at the help but I just could seem to find what I was looking for there. I guess I'll have to go over it again. I bought my program second hand it's 1.5 but I got no DVD. Thanks for your replies...

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2006 at 7:12:42 pm

I thought you had 2.0 ... OK, at the side of each track you will see an "IN" and "OUT" click on the out to see if it's shows your sound card if it doesn't highlight it on the list and then click on "SAME FOR ALL TRACKS" repeat for the "IN" button you also need go to the "OPTIONS" tab at the top of the Audition screen and then click on "SETTINGS" then check and make sure that all the in's and out's for both the edit and session side are set to your sound card ... To use the EQ in real time you need to go to the "FX" button on the left side of each track on the session side to set your effects rack up ... I am here to help so don't ever hesitate to ask any questions .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2006 at 7:41:59 pm

Thanks again Willie. I went ahead and checked the ins and outs and checked same for all tracks then I went to the settings but couldn't find an area were I could choose the ins and outs for the edit and session sides. After I hit settings, which tab can I find that feature under? And once again thank you very much...

Return to posts index

by on May 19, 2006 at 9:53:36 pm

Email me at loganonestudio@aol.com I think I have a quicker way to get you up in running ... I will be home in about an hour ...... WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]