FORUMS: list search recent posts

Variable gain

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcow
FLL-Freak
Variable gain
on Apr 12, 2006 at 2:10:38 am

I know it must be simple. I have played around with various tools, but I can't seem to figure this out...

I have a long track (1.5 hours) from a school play. As middle school kids, they keep their voices low when talking and let it rip when singing. The track has a huge dynamic range issue. If I just increase the amplitude accross the track it saturates for the songs. If I leave it alone the voices are too quite.

Is there a variable gain (reduce dynamic range) function? All I need is the name of the correct tool to spend time playing with!

I need about +18db for the real quite parts and 0db for the songs. I realize that +18 is likely to induce noise. I can live with the noise as I have some 'silence' that I can use for noise reduction purposes.

-Skye Sweeney
FLL Freak Productions
http://www.fll-freak.com

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Variable gain
on Apr 12, 2006 at 2:27:23 am

Skye,

The best way to do this is to just highlight the low spots one at a time with the track on the edit side and amplify it ... There is too much of a gain difference to use the hard limit feature ... It might take some time but it will be worth ir in the end ... WILLIE

Return to posts index

ozpeter
on Apr 12, 2006 at 9:56:00 am

Rather depends which version of Audition you are using, but another approach is to use volume envelopes in multitrack view - which can be rescaled to give more gain if need be.

Things to look for in the manual -

rescale
envelopes

If still puzzled let us know which version you are using for more targetted advice.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
FLL-Freak
on Apr 12, 2006 at 10:48:23 am

I am using version 1.5 build 4124.1

I would hate to have to manualy increase each section. It was a musical and there must be 30 songs that I would have to ease the gain change into and out of to make it smooth.

Is there no tool that would allow me to draw a curve that says at an initial signal of -30db add 18 db gain and at 0db add 0db gain and interpolate between?

-Skye Sweeney
FLL Freak Productions
http://www.fll-freak.com

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Apr 12, 2006 at 2:07:58 pm

Skye,

Even if you use envelpoes you are still going to have to manually draw the line, so either method is going to take time, as to what one is faster and or easier with 1.5 I would highlight and amplify ... WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]