FORUMS: list search recent posts

Save the floundering video guy

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrAd S
Save the floundering video guy
on Feb 2, 2006 at 9:34:27 pm

Just started using Audition, and I like it. But I'm a video guy, and I've got a lot to learn about audio. And I'm doing some audio only work for a siter company. Anyway...
I've got to get rid of every breath in a VO. AS per some advice from another, I Did a hard limit with a boosted imput. This served to thicken the sound without clipping.
Then found silence, and took the snap shot thing, then removed the room tone.
This was good, but I still have a lot of breath sounds, that in a video project would be hidden by music. This project's got no music, so the breath is pretty obvious.
BUT, it's very low compared to the rest of the read. There's got to be a filter that will take out everything that doesn't get above a certain level, but leaves everything else alone. Again, I am proclaiming my audio ignorance here, and open up myself for your ridicule.

THanks for your help in advance.

BrAd

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Save the floundering video guy
on Feb 2, 2006 at 10:05:28 pm

BrAd,

Oh in a perfect world how easy things would be ... You could try to capture just the breath sounds with the noise removal feature, but I think you will have problems with digitizing the audio track ... I used to be anal about breath sounds and would go through the clip and remove them one at a time, but then I discovered how it made the track sound too clean ... I would say the best way to do it is in the spectral view using the single clip removal feature but if you have a lot of breath sounds make sure you have a very strong pot of coffee to keep you awake and some eyedrops to keep you lids from sticking to your eyeballs ......... WILLIE

incidental poet

Return to posts index

BrAd S
on Feb 2, 2006 at 11:12:22 pm

really...
Isn't there a compressor (not sure I've got the right word), that will cut out all under, say -51, but it's got an attack and decay(again, not sure on wording) that will not totally clip the end of S sounds (etc)?

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

drumrob
on Feb 3, 2006 at 9:25:37 pm

BrAd,

Yes, you are looking for a NOISE GATE. You set a threshold and levels above the threshold will open the gate, everything below the gate will stay closed. You then fool around with attack and release to fine tune it.

The tricky part is if the breath sounds and the voice are too close in level, you will snip off parts of the words as you mention. The only sure way to do it is cutting one breath at a time.

I have found the COMPANDER setting in Dynamics (I think - I'm not at my audio station at the moment), works well for small breath sounds. It COMpresses the voice and raises the level, while exPANDing (pushing down toward 0) the quieter sounds, thus the name COMPANDER.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Producttions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

BrAd S
on Feb 3, 2006 at 9:29:28 pm

I'll try that. Thanks so much.
It looks like this is the all northwest topic. I'm in Pasco, SE Washington. The other guy's in Bremerton, you you're in Oregon.

BrAd

Praise to the COW

BrAd Steiner
ImageWorks Media Group

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Feb 3, 2006 at 10:13:36 pm

BrAd,

If the voice is already recorded a noise gate won't help unless you run it through and re-record it ... If it hasn't been recorded or you can re-record here is what you do ... The best thing is a stereo compressor limiter ... You go from the mic to the input of channel one then run the output of channel one back into the input of channel two then output that into Audition ... Here is why this works so well ... When you limit (as was said in the last post too much) it can cut off sounds that you want and you will hear the noise gate opening and closing, this is called "breathing"... With this method you use half the value on each channel that it would take you if you were using a single channel limiter, making the breathing of the noise gate silent and it won't cut anything off ... The northwest rules ... The other guy in Bremerton

incidental poet

Return to posts index

nelsonm
on Feb 28, 2006 at 4:48:47 am

Hi,

In Audition 2.0 I have selected the edit tab, highlighted the area i wanted to fix and used the capture noise reduction profile under the effects/restoration menu to capture the sample. Then select the noise reduction (process) option under the effects/restoration menu to get rid of the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]