FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing suggestions for audition CD

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fll-freakMixing suggestions for audition CD
by on Jan 12, 2006 at 8:05:13 pm

A few days ago, I recorded my daughter playing oboe with a piano accompaniment. This is to be included on a CD for her to submit to a music conservatory application.

I recorded with two mics. The left mic was 6 feet away from the piano. The right mic was 2 feet away from the oboe. Both mics picked up the other instrument to some degree. My daughter's oboe instructor feels that the piano part is too quiet compared to the oboe. She suggests that I remix the take. I can do this in many different ways and hence I am looking for "the right way".

The simple solution is just to crank the gain on the piano (left) channel. I am afraid of what that will sound like when heard in conjuction with the oboe (and the piano bleedover) on the right channel.

More complex solutions include the amplitude effects that allow you to mix percentages of each source channel into percentages of the rendered channels. I played with this a bit and the results sound muddy.

Any ideas? If you have any, please send them soon! The CD needs to be postmarked by 1/13/06!

-Skye Sweeney
FLL Freak Productions
http://www.fll-freak.com

Return to posts index

ozpeterRe: Mixing suggestions for audition CD
by on Jan 13, 2006 at 1:17:52 pm

You might find that saving each channel as a new file, then inserting those into tracks one and two of the multitrack view and manipulating levels and pans there experimentally and non-destructively might be a good approach?

To split the file there are about a dozen possible methods, but one is to highlight just the left half and use File > Save Selection, then the right half.

Return to posts index

fll-freakRe: Mixing suggestions for audition CD
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 7:12:23 pm

Thanks to all you posted ideas either here or in private email. Using various techniques I was able to remix the recording very nicely. This track was included with several others for my daughter's conservatory pre-audition demo CD. Now she sits back and waits....

-Skye Sweeney
FLL Freak Productions
http://www.fll-freak.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]