FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rookie question, please help!

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Steinberg
Rookie question, please help!
on Dec 3, 2005 at 6:50:50 pm

Hello!

There's probably something very basic I'm doing wrong, please help me figure it out! I'm opening a 32000 kHz, 16bit, mono WAV-file in edit view. I want to make an mp3 with the same properties. So I click File > Save as, and choose mp3Pro (I tried regular mp3 also). I choose my destination folder and give the mp3 a name, and when I'm done, I check the properties of the file by clicking View > Wave properties > file info. Sure enough, it shows that the file is still 32000 kHz, 16 bit, mono. But when I import that file in another program like Adobe After Effects, it shows up as being 16000 kHz! I sent the file to someone else, and they told me it was 16000 kHz. But when I look at the file info in Audition, it still shows up as 32000 kHz!! What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Rookie question, please help!
on Dec 4, 2005 at 10:51:12 am

Eric,

I guess my first question is why a 32K sample rate? Cd quality is 441 and video is 48K ... I would check the software defaults ........ WILLIE

Return to posts index

Eric Steinberg
on Dec 4, 2005 at 12:59:05 pm

I guess my first question is why a 32K sample rate?

Well, the reason for the sample rate is that these particular files originated on a cheap portable harddisk recorder ("Zoom"), and 32K is the highest sample rate it will do. These are voice-recordings which are going to end up as telephone on-hold messages, and for telephone quality 32K is plenty. I am converting to mp3 to limit the filesize, since these files are being sent as email attachments. I normally work with video and use 48K, but this is a special case where I am helping someone else who just lost their PC.

I would check the software defaults

Sorry to be so ignorant, but which software defaults are you referring to? I still don't understand why Audition tells me the mp3 files are 32K, and other programs tell me they are 16K?

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Dec 4, 2005 at 3:28:44 pm

Eric,

Audition see's it as 32K because that is what the original file was ... When you E-mail it, there might be something going on when it is compressed again by the E-mail service ... For me I would say it comes down to this, if it plays and sounds the way you want it to sound in every application you are using the files in then why be concerned about the sample rate ... You can change the sample rate in Audition by bringing it into the EDIT side of the program and hitting F12, this will bring up the sample rate menu ... Here is the definition of sample rate so I hope it will help you better understand why it really isn't anything to concern yourself with if the file plays and sounds like you want it to ... Enjoy your day .......... WILLIE

The number of samples per second. Higher sample rates produce increased frequency response but require more disk space. To reproduce a given audio frequency, the sample rate must be at least double that frequency. (See Nyquist Frequency.)

Return to posts index

Randy Brown
on Jan 1, 2006 at 7:33:29 am

When saving an .mp3, click the OPTONS button on the Save As dialogue box. It'll bring up all those options you're needing.

Randy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]