FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serious Audio Problems!!!

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon_w_walkerSerious Audio Problems!!!
by on Dec 2, 2005 at 4:06:27 am

Just purchased a new microphone and was taking it for a test drive. I have my mic run through a mackie board which is then run into the audio line in on the back of my pc. It was working fine when I had an idea (famous last words). I wanted to hear the guitar track I just laid down in my headphones while recording a voice track in multitrack mode. With the way I'm set up I can't just plug my headphones into my pc to get playback without hearing the music in the mic while doing the voiceover. So I hooked my mackie board into the pc heaphone jack via mini plug/XLR cable adapter. The audio was coming through but it was really distorted in my headphones. I could hear my voice over fine but when I began recording nothing was going in. The waveform was flatlined. I played back what it picked up and now there is the high pitch ring that plays over my audio which is insanely faint. I have checked all volume control panels and nothing is muted and nothing is overmodulated. I fear I may have fried something but I'm not sure. I can play audio that has already been recorded but I can't record anything new. There is no audio going in. When I plug sometihing into the line in or the speaker out, the pop up no longer appears notifying me that something was plugged in. All I hear is a high pitch tone and really faint audio. Any suggestions? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Jon Walker

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Serious Audio Problems!!!
by on Dec 2, 2005 at 1:00:27 pm

Jon,

Plugging the output of your headphone jack into an input of the Mackie shouldn't have hurt anything, so if something fried it was ready to go in my humble opinion ... This is a hard problem to troubleshoot without being there ... First CHECK YOUR CABLES!!! Make sure they are not damaged in anyway you would be surprised how many times I have been screwed by this one ... Do you have an independant PCI soundcard or is the soundcard intergrated into the motherboard? Have you tried to reinstall drivers for the soundcard? When you tried to play audio from the line out did you try and go through the board? If you did try again without the mackie in the system ... If the problem is still there I would say your soundcard is the problem ... Using headphones, try running audio through the Mackie without it being in the system and see what you get ... I have a friend that I set up with a live board and what we had to do was to put an off and on switch on the speaker outputs to turn them off when he was recording ... I used a simple A - B speaker selection switch that you can purchase from radio shack ... Let me know the outcome .... WILLIE

Return to posts index

Jon WalkerRe: Serious Audio Problems!!!
by on Dec 2, 2005 at 3:27:47 pm

The sound card is built into the mother board. I am wondering if the output of phantom power necessary to power the mic could have fried something. I used an xlr/rca adapter from the mackie then ran the rca cables into a mini plug adapter that was plugged into the headphone jack. I know, could I make it more complicated? Then all I had to do was pot up the channel to hear the headphone output. This is when the problem occured. I didn't notice it until I began trying to record my voice track and it was flatlining. I could hear my mic through the mackie and I could also hear the guitar track but my voice was not being recorded. I cracked open the case and peeked in. Nothing felt hot or was smoltering so I don't think something fried but it still could have. I formatted the drive and did a clean install of the operating system and it still is having problems. So I guess yes, I did reinstall the drivers.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2005 at 4:07:50 pm

Jon,

You still need to try the audio without the board and the board by itself ... Worst case go buy a PCI soundblaster card and make that your default audio ... After you do that run the in and outs as you had it before you made the minor blunder with the exception of hooking the output to the speakers through an A - B speaker switch ... You the same Jon from Kentucky, if so write to me at loganonestudio@aol.com, need to talk with you ......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2005 at 5:13:37 pm

Jon,

I also need to know your full configuration from instrument input to speaker

incidental poet

Return to posts index

Jon WalkerRe: Serious Audio Problems!!!
by on Dec 2, 2005 at 7:11:05 pm

I am running a Gateway 550 GR, P4 540 Hyperthread, regular on board audio input, no sound card. Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]