FORUMS: list search recent posts

Doing Vocal Removing

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Djshew
Doing Vocal Removing
on Nov 28, 2005 at 7:03:26 am

Ok, I am a new beginner in audio recording. At least at recording bands. I am gonna be recording two bands coming up this winter just for some fun and I have been messing around with some of the things on AA 1.5 to see what all I can do in Post-production. Anyways. When I try to remove the vocals from one of the songs I have recorded using the "central channel extractor" the vocals are removed but so is the guitar. In professional recording for the most part - the guitar, drums, everything besides the vocals are still present in the track when you use the "CCE". Basically, when I use the vocal remove in my recordings, why is every other instrument being drowned out as well???

By the way I have a MXL 990 condenser Mic. Also, a Samson CO1 - using for acoustics. I am using the Yamaha MG10/2 mixing board going directly into my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card on my PC.

Thanks in advance, Adam
EI Productions
Videography - Graphic Design

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Doing Vocal Removing
on Nov 28, 2005 at 2:36:05 pm

Adam,

The problem that Audition has is that the CCE just isn't that great and you can't get it dialed in like the studio's so any hope of pulling the voice out without pulling something else out isn't going to happen with Audition, or at least I have never been successful with it ... When I record drums I have 8 to 10 mic's just on the drum kit ... I think your best hope of getting a recording is to use 2 matching mic's and try and place them left and right to get a good instrument mix, then take a left and right hard line out of the PA mixer to track the vocals, this way you have a chance to get it right ... If it is all acoustic, then just take the feed out of the mixer ... You can get a track of crowd noise by recording a separate track using a mic faced towards the audience ... Live recording can test our skills that is for sure ... In the studio I lay down a scratch track, then build the tune one track at a time starting with bass, then rythym, then anything else like keboards ect. then lead, with vocals being last ... For drums I use a drum machine then record the live kit last ... I hope this helps ........... WILLIE

Return to posts index

djshew2
on Nov 29, 2005 at 7:51:23 pm

I appreciate it Willie

Return to posts index

drumrob
on Nov 29, 2005 at 8:04:02 pm

As You say, the title of the tool is "Center Channel Extractor". What that means is that it is extracting what is panned right to the center of the stereo image. Normally the lead vocal is panned straight up center, so that is what is removed. However, anything else that is panned center will also be removed - there is no way for the program to know what is vocal and what is not. So the only way to hope that you can remove the vocal is to be sure it is panned center, and everything else is panned left or right to some degree. Of course there will be residual effects on most other sounds as well.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Return to posts index

djshew2
on Nov 30, 2005 at 4:56:11 am

Thanks a lot Rob on your response. That helps a lot. I appreciate it.

Adam
EI Productions
Videography - Graphic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]