FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to delete selected audio in Audition

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
acemoab
Unable to delete selected audio in Audition
on Oct 31, 2005 at 1:09:43 am

I am new to Audition, having used Nero Wave Editor previously. When I try to edit a .wav file with Audition, I can select and delete only one section. When I try to select and delete more sections, the program will not let me (the delete option is greyed out). I have to save the file and close Audition, open it and the file again to make another deletion. What am I doing wrong? I can get many of the other features to work, but cannot edit out the bad bits!! (I am editing speech).

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Unable to delete selected audio in Audition
on Oct 31, 2005 at 3:39:15 pm

I would say there is something wrong with the install ... Try uninstalling and then reinstalling ... As long as it's a readable file extension it doesn't matter how many times you edit it using the same function before saving ............. WILLIE

Return to posts index

acemoab
on Nov 1, 2005 at 4:14:11 am

I tried uninstalling Audition and reinstalling it, to no avail. I also tried installing it on another computer, a much more capable one, to no avail. I can make one or two deletes in the file, then no more without a save, close of Audition, and a re-open of the file. Now this is a large (>600 MB) CD quality .wav file. Perhaps this is beyond the capacity of Audition to edit? What a shame, as Nero Wave Editor (which came free with my DVD burner) works perfectly and cost me nothing. I have tried editing tiny .wav files, and Audition freely allows multiple edits. Anything over a minute or so in length, and it refuses. When this happens, most of the other nifty options are also greyed out, making Audition, in a word, useless. I wish I could get my money back! I really can't imagine what I am doing wrong, so if anyone knows, please help. My client is anxious to have her work done! If I could edit the file with my old editor and use Audition for the more detailed items, I would, but sadly, it doesn't allow me to do much of anything. The people at Adobe do not respond.

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Nov 1, 2005 at 2:39:49 pm

I feel strongly that you have either a system problem or a program problem ... I just downloaded a 2.3 gig wave and don't have any problem doing multiple edits ... The one thing that really gives me reason for pause is that you have other functions greyed out ... What are your computer specs? I would first check your system ... Go to OPTIONS > SETTINGS > SYSTEM check to make sure that your temp files are set to the largest drives you have on your computer with the largest drive as your first temp folder and your second largest as the secondary temp and that you have ample room on your system reserve, I would use a min of 500 megs ... I have been using this program for 8+ years, (used to be cool edit pro) and have never incountered this problem before ... I strongly suggest you contact Adobe if all else fails ... Please send the spec's of your computer, (ram and AVALIBLE HARD DRIVE SPACE) if you don't have much ram or hard drive this might cause the problem ......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

acemoab
on Nov 1, 2005 at 4:17:06 pm

So far I have tried Audition 1.5 on THREE computers with the same result: my client's file cannot be edited, but smaller files, including smaller pieces of her file can. All machines have PLENTY of RAM and hard drive space. (Wouldn't Windows give its usual "out of memory" or "out of virtual memory" messages if either of these were a problem?). The best machine has the following specs:

AMD Athlon 3200+
1GB RAM
160 GB hard drive (in RAID 0 array) 80% empty
WinXP Pro SP2 + all updates

I can make one, or sometimes two small select-and-deletes before the problem happens on this machine. If I edit a small section of the file (say three minutes) I can edit freely. I haven't had time to test what the actual maximum file length that can be edited is, but it is certainly MUCH smaller than both the available RAM and/or the available hard drive space. Again, shutting off resource hogging stuff (Like Norton AntiVirus) has no effect.

The other machines are almost as capable, differing mostly in processor speed which should merely make Audition run slower, not hamper its capabilities. Users have no problems with any other program on these machines including Autocad, and various video processing apps, all of which are very machine intensive.

As far as contacting Adobe, they DO NOT RESPOND. This is my usual experience with most software vendors, so they, perhaps, do not deserve scorn. (But I doubt if I will buy from them again, unless this problem can be resolved)

Return to posts index

acemoab
on Nov 1, 2005 at 4:44:47 pm

I have something to add! I have discovered that I ACTUALLY CAN delete as many times as I want to the file, but if I listen to the audio, this disables further editing. I set the temp folder reserve to 5000 KB, but this did not change anything.

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Nov 1, 2005 at 9:02:57 pm

My system is almost the same as yours with the exception of me having 1200 gigs of hard drive space ... I have no problem with a 2.3 gig file so I suspect that the copy of Audition that you have is corrupt .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

stratosfear
on Nov 13, 2005 at 8:09:08 pm

Hello,

I came across this thread regarding problems with adobe audition. I have tried everything under the sun to fix the problem I am having with playback and recording on my set up.

The problem is that when I open up a project to record an additional track or two, it "skips" during recording and playback (same spots) sometimes it records and when I stop, one or two of the tracks that were armed to record clears as if nothing was recorded on them.

It was working before, so maybe when I re-installed Adobe Audition and some of third party plug ins different codecs or rearranged file types assignments may have caused these problems. I dont know.

I fixed the same probelm on my home computer but only because i downloaded a trail version of Adobe Audition and it fixed everything! I also downloaded the codec package for windows media player....

Like you, I have a small state of the art studio (I'm in Pasco, WA)and this problem has claimed the lives of a few client accounts! Its a nightmare. Latency settings I've tried do not seem to effect or remedy the problem.

I even purchased a new computer- a server with a pentium 4 hyper thread technology, 3.2 Ghz, with 1 gig of ram and a FSB of 800 mHz. I thought my video card was causing the problem(I installed a Radeon Xtasy so I can connect two monitors) and I changed the type of firewire card as well, but to no avail. This is getting expensive and I cant even record one track....

I am using two Presonus Firepods and they are installed correctly. My computer does not have internet access. No viruses here. I have installed Windows service pack one and it should be working!

Could my Adobe program disk be corrupted? If so, could you suggest a particular settings or device order. OR if you don't mind, could I aquire a copy of adobe audition if you think I may have a bad disk? I would be more than happy to donate something for your help. I have other programs & plug ins and loops That I wouldn't mind sharing with a fellow recording aritist.

Thank you, Alex

Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding the truth.

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Nov 14, 2005 at 2:33:19 am

Alex,

Just E-mail me at loganonestudio@aol.com and we will make arrangements to get up up and running .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]