Natural Outdoor Reverb

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bur
Natural Outdoor Reverb
by
on Oct 20, 2005 at 1:36:47 am

Hi,

Im trying to dub a scene, in which two actors are walking on the street and talking, for a short film of mine. I recorded the voices of the actors, in the studio, so the voices are dry, free from any reverb. In order to make the voices sound natural, ive tried to add some reverb, but they all sounded synthetic to me(in fact ive tried it with the "reverb" plug-in of adobe premiere). I just want to learn how can i achieve a natural outdoor reverb?

Thanks in advance,

Bur

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Natural Outdoor Reverb
on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:16:21 am

To be honest with you, you will most likely not be able to re-create the sound you are looking for ... My suggestion would be to record your actors while shooting the scene and then mix it in under the studio recording just enough to give the studio audio that outside openess you are wanting to achieve ... You could simply record ambiant noise from where you are filming without actors and then mix that in also ... In any case the bottom line is that if you are looking for a natural outdoor reverb, record outdoors .............. WILLIE

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Oct 21, 2005 at 10:11:47 am

It should be able to be done, they do ADR on all major films.

- derrick

Return to posts index

Randy Brown
on Jan 1, 2006 at 7:32:25 am

There's no plug-in that comes with Audition that will do this.

There are, however, plug-ins out there that can be used in Audition that will.

Sony Pictures sells one called Acoustic Mirror. It's not that expensive. http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com

There's also one from Waves (http://www.waves.com), though I forget what they call it. Shoot, it's about the only Waves plug-in I don't have.

Randy

Return to posts index

Wollite
on Feb 2, 2006 at 5:54:58 pm

Try talouring a bit of the low-end (to remove the proximity effect) and some of the high-end (to approximate air absorption) out of the voices. Keep them fairly dry with maybe a tiny touch of early reflections with some pre-delay to represent reflections from the wall/pavement. Also, I believe a lot of "presence" in voices comes from the 1-2kHz region - play around with notching out around 2kHz and see if it makes the voices sound a little more distant to you?

I think Randy is referring to Waves IR1 - it is the dogs danglies for reverbs - it uses impulse responses and filter sweeps from real environments to recreate reverbs on any signal. You'll find that a the presets have "direct" "early reflection" and "reverb" levels - try lots of presets with only the direct on - the direct signal is not the dry signal on IR1 - it is infact the first part of the sound (the recorded impulse) to reach the microphone and hence already has equalisation characteristics from air absorption and wotnot. Unfortunately it cost quite a lot......................... well worth it if any of you are serious about film/game dialogue though.

Hope this helps someone out there
Oli

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]