FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound drops out of vocals when started from beginning of track

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jjslimSound drops out of vocals when started from beginning of track
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 2:28:48 am

I recorded vocals in the mix and everything sounds great except on playback the volume drops suddenly for about 2 seconds. If I isolate the part I can hear the vocals fine at full volume. If I start at less than 0 on the time line the part comes in fine. Any thoughts, ideas of how to fix. Otherwise I can always rerecord the track. Just curious as to what is going on.

Thanks

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Sound drops out of vocals when started from beginning of track
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 1:08:07 pm

At this point I would re-record ........ WILLIE

Return to posts index

jjslimRe: Sound drops out of vocals when started from beginning of track
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 1:43:38 pm

Oh well I can always sing it better the next time. Thanks

Return to posts index

LorenzoRe: Sound drops out of vocals when started from beginning of track
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 5:06:37 pm

when you say "isolate the track", do you mean "solo" it, or lesson to the wav file in Edit view ?

Did you check the volume enveloppe ? there might be an "accidental" lowered volume curve on this part, which does not show until you activate the "show volume enveloppe" in the task bar.

And also : it would be a very unlucky thnig, but it might be some kind of masking effect between your vocal and another similar frequancy range instrument like, say, an elec. guitar or strings... but this wouldn't sound like a drop-out, your voice would just sound "drowned" in the mix.

Interesting article on this matter : http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~bosse/proj/node9.html

Bye

Laurent

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2005 at 7:03:00 pm

I do mean switch to edit view. Also I checked the volume envelopes. All along they are set at 100%. I also tried setting volume markers before and after the dropout and still had the problem. What is odd is that it only drops out if I start at the very beginning. If I start say a few beats into the song I'll hear my vocals perfectly in that same location. It also drops out if I mix down the all the tracks together. I also tried playing the guitar rhythm plus the vocals from the beginning and experienced the same dropout. I'll rerecord tonight. Just an odd glitch I guess

Return to posts index

by on Aug 17, 2005 at 1:28:08 pm

I may have discovered my answer here. I recorded another vocal last night and played it through and it sounded fine. Then I tried it again and the same thing happened. The difference was that I added effects, one of them being a mastering effect and a dynamics processing effect. The passage that was being silenced was a note I was singing for four beats. It started but then dropped off which I think means that it was being limited or cut by one of the effects.
Question: Where is the best place (track or edit view) to selectively apply an effect. In this case I want to take the effect off or modify its parameters for this four beat portion of vocals. What would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 17, 2005 at 4:44:35 pm

I like being able to use the effects in real time but this dose tax the processor ... I would do the dynamic processing on the edit side since you are having problems with it ... Some of the effects such as verb really don't work well on the session side ... The best thing to use the real time effects for is EQ, it will save a ton of time ... You sure have had a mountain to climb with your system ......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on Aug 17, 2005 at 6:14:20 pm

Willie, you are right about that mountain to climb but what you say makes sense. It is a learning curve but it is so worth it as Audition is giving me lots more than my earlier program NTrack. It is nice to have your support as well as the other admins here. It is saving me time and frustration to know where to go and what to do. I will do my effects processing in edit mode from here on. I do want to go deep with this program. I have so many great songs to record. Thanks for letting me hang out here. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 17, 2005 at 10:58:38 pm

That is how I learned the program ... I think as you go you will do very well because you have the desire ... Would love to hear some of your music ... If you would like you can E-mail an MP-3 to me at loganonestudio@aol.com ... I will send you some of mine as well .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]