FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing digital audio within a 6db range (-6db and 18db)

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Rinquest
Compressing digital audio within a 6db range (-6db and 18db)
on Aug 12, 2005 at 5:41:34 pm

We have a drama soundtrack which client wants to squeeze into a 6db range - can't say I agree but it is their requirement. The dynamic range of the track is wide and then very often severe in variance. To my ears it sound fine but they are looking at levels. Can anyone advise how to achieve this without pumping??? Digital sound is still new to me coming from a background of valve mics and doggies with horns.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Rinquest
Re: Sorry the above should read between -12 and -18db
on Aug 12, 2005 at 6:04:05 pm

Sorry the above should read between -12 and -18db

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Compressing digital audio within a 6db range (-6db and 18db)
on Aug 12, 2005 at 8:49:24 pm

Alex,

Not a problem there are 2 ways to go about this, One can be accomplished by bringing the wave file into the edit side of the program and normalize it to -12db, although this will limit the peaks it may not bring up the low point as well as hard limiting ... You will find both of these functions in the effects tab under Amplify ... In both cases you will have to set the max limit you want in this case the -12db ... I would use the hard limit if I was doing the job, because it brings in the stuff underneath and will give you an improvement in dynamics ... If you have anything below -18 after the modification what I have always done is just go through and increase the level of these points by either using amplification or normalize...... WILLIE

Return to posts index

Alex Rinquest
on Aug 13, 2005 at 12:41:34 pm

Will jump to it -Many THANKS

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Aug 13, 2005 at 1:33:03 pm

write if you have a problem ......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]