FORUMS: list search recent posts

Waveform offset

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
labrisherWaveform offset
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 4:51:03 am

Not for the life of me can I find in the Audition Help files how to shift a stereo waveform up about 18% so it's centered. I thought DC offset was the answer but I find this option only under Generate>Tones but this obviously isn't the answer.

Help please, anyone?

Return to posts index

willie tothRe: Waveform offset
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 6:15:22 am

OK, sometimes I am a bit dense but I need to know what you mean when you say you want to shift a stereo waveform up about 18% so it's centered ... Is it that you want less of a stereo field? If that is the case just split the stereo wave by mixing down the wave to another track, then take it into the edit side and highlight one side of the wave then amplify with a setting of -300 DB now repeat with the original track only this time getting rid of the opposite channel, (you should keep left side on top and right on the bottom) ... Now you can adjust the pans where you want them on the session side, once you have it panned to your liking mix them down to create a new stereo clip ...

Return to posts index

labrisherRe: Waveform offset
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 7:09:13 am

What !!! ... Willie dense ?? Nev-va ...!! I'm the one who's not clear and I apologise for that.

I recorded a musical piece via the line-in port of the sound card, and when I loaded the file in the Edit View in Audition, the lines of symmetry of the waveforms in both channels are below that red line running across the pane to the infinity symbol on the righthand scale. The centerline of the waveform is at -18% on the righhand scale. I seem to recall reading that this may be caused by a DC offset but maybe I'm all wet on that.

Perhaps I should've asked instead if this condition is significant, and if yes, how to correct it.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2005 at 12:53:28 pm

Personally this has never happened to me before, but my feeling is that if it sounds good, don't worry about it ... I did look through all the publications I have on Audition and couldn't find anything on it either ............ WILLIE

PS. I do have my platinum moments

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2005 at 3:22:24 pm

It sounds good, so I'll just leave it alone. Perhaps my misconception that this is the result of a DC offset is one of MY platinum moments!! Thanks for your always prompt replies.

Cheers

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2005 at 4:08:40 pm

My pleasure .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2005 at 3:40:20 pm

Willie: it turns out my platinum moment should have been "bias" instead of "offset," i.e. I should have been working with "DC-bias" and not "DC-offset."

Setting the DC Bias Adjust to 0% in Effects>Amplitude>Normalize did the trick! It lined up the centerline of the waveform on the zero voltage line. Doesn't make this piece sound any better, but it might help on another piece if its offset - er ... bias - were more severe.

Cheers

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2005 at 4:18:53 pm

Right on! Glad you figured it out .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]