FORUMS: list search recent posts

"editing out" unwanted background noise

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
"editing out" unwanted background noise
on Jul 22, 2005 at 8:53:02 pm

I'm going to be shooting a narrator in "urban" settings, e.g. street noise, cars passing, wind (not cars passing wind, that's something else...). I'll be shooting mini-dv on a Canon GL2 with a lav mic on the narrator.

I'm a newbie around audio in general, and using Audition 1.5 in particular, and am wondering how possible it is to edit out the sounds of cars passing by, or wind, or tone down down street noise in Audition 1.5. If it is viable--all suggestions on how you'd best do this wd be appreciated.

thanks-
Ruby

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: "editing out" unwanted background noise
on Jul 23, 2005 at 2:12:40 am

Ruby,

First I have to say with using a lav mic you will be able to cut a lot more than if you were using a shotgun, or other mic system ... What are you recording into? I use a wireless system and record into a portable Tascom digital 8 track ... The noise you want to get rid of can be bothersome because of the shared frequencies with voice, but it isn't impossible ... You will need to bring the clip into the EDIT side of the program and highlight JUST THE NOISE you would like to remove ... Once you do that go to EFFECTS > NOISE REDUCTION > NOISE REDUCTION > CAPTURE NOISE PROFILE ... Once you capture the profile highlight the whole clip go to EFFECTS > NOISE REDUCTION > NOISE REDUCTION ... Here is where you MUST take care not to remove too much of the noise at once ... I like to remove it by about 62% and if I need more I reduce the percentage ... When you preview and it sounds like people are talking in a rain barrel you are going too far ... If you would like you can always E-mail a short clip to me and I will see if I can come up with a suitable FFT file for you to use ... My E-mail is loganonestudio@aol.com ... Good luck ........ WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]