Good PCI soundcard?

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick
Good PCI soundcard?
by
on Apr 30, 2005 at 1:18:41 am

Hi Willie,

Is the creative pci soundcard a good deal? much of a difference between the 50 and 75 dollar versions? Will it solve my latency problems?

Tx,
Mick

Return to posts index

willie toth
Re: Good PCI soundcard?
on Apr 30, 2005 at 1:29:42 am

I used a 16 bit soundblaster card for several years without any difficulty ... What type of problem are you having?

Return to posts index

Mick
by
on Apr 30, 2005 at 9:41:23 pm

Hey Willie,

Just the typical latency issues with the factory cards. I am using a laptop for my audio programs and want to get into basic multi-track recording, so i need a card that will give me real time monitoring. Other than that - no problems.

Mick

Return to posts index

willie toth
on Apr 30, 2005 at 11:13:14 pm

Mick,

I would go with an outboard system if you are using a laptop ... Presonus makes a nice unit that connects via USB ... WILLIE

Return to posts index

Mick
by
on May 1, 2005 at 6:04:45 pm

yea - sorry, i meant pc slot. but i see that the usb models are out there too. i'll look into that solution. tx

mick

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on May 7, 2005 at 12:03:08 pm

As an alternative you could look into M-Audio solutions. M-Audio have always created very reliable equipment, and have a bunch of mobile options out there.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

Personally I prefer a Firewire interface over USB. I've seen too many latency issues with USB...

Bar3nd

Forum COWmunity leader for:
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
MAGIC BULLET SUITE
INDIE FILM & DOCUMENTARY

Return to posts index

Chad Treanor
on May 27, 2005 at 4:04:16 pm

Willie-

i posted here a while back stating i wanted to be able to record a good voice over and was having trouble. I concluded that i would just wait to find a mic pre-amp or just get one of the firewire solutions that seem to have pre-amps in them. I was looking at the Digidesign M-box for the past two years basically and i just dont know if i want to pay that much for it. I already used protools a while back when i was in school but now that im out i have Audition and i want to be able to record a good VO.

so i looked at the last post Barend Onneweer and his link to the M-audio stuff. I've seen this one firewire break out tool that has an XLR and quarter inch input that seems like it would be able to handle a simple sm58 w/ an xlr. I think thats all i would need to record decent VOs.

Im posting this to see what you think about this one piece of hardware as far as quality of recorded audio and functionality w/ audition.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-main.html

any help is appreciated.
chadwik

good thread to read as well

Return to posts index

willie toth
on May 27, 2005 at 4:26:24 pm

I think for the price this is OK ... M-audio is middle of the road when it comes to equipment but for what you are wanting to do you are probably good to go ... I prefer a 57 over a 58, I know they say they are the same with the exception of the case config, but to my ears I hear a difference ... The only thing more I might add is a rule of thumb that I use when purchasing equipment ... I make it a practice to purchase equipment that is more than I need ... The unit you are looking at has only one XLR input, to my way of thinking I would say that this is a liability ... If you are absolutely sure that you will never need anything more, then go for it, if not maybe look into a different unit ... Hope this helps .......... WILLIE

Return to posts index

Chad Treanor
on May 27, 2005 at 5:33:36 pm

thanks for the good direction Willie...Im almost positive that i will need this piece of hardware for VO recording. I plan on doing multi-camera shoots later on and I plan on getting a mackie mixer for that so if it ever came down to it I could just use that when in need. Then again that may be a few years down the road. This m-audio hardware will be a good start though. overall im starting in post production and later on moving into production work.

thanks
chadwik

Return to posts index

willie toth
on May 27, 2005 at 7:24:59 pm

Chad,

There are better ways to go than Mackie ... Mackie is known for their live boards and their sound is geared towards grung ... You might consider going with a Tascom 8 track, this is what I use for doing shoots where I only need 2 recordables in's ... It's nice because you have a USB out to make it an easy transfer to your computer for edit ... When you get ready contact me and we will get you travelin down a productive road ... My E-mail address is loganonestudio@aol.com ...... WILLIE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]