FORUMS: list search recent posts

What kind of files should my web designer give me?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry SmithWhat kind of files should my web designer give me?
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 11:23:41 am

So, I have a designer for a web page. Assuming he is not going to maintain the page, what is he supposed to give me? Two sites, one for web, one for mobile? Three sites, one for web, one for tablet, one for mobile Or is just supposed to give me Photoshop files? What is the minimum that a designer might provide?? I guess that last one is really my question!

Return to posts index

Steve Crook JrRe: What kind of files should my web designer give me?
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 4:16:09 pm

For this question, there are a whole bunch of answers. :)

One set of files should be provided no matter what, and that is the base media files: jpgs, pngs, gifs, PSDs, AIs, etc. You should be able to get an editable copy of whatever the designer creates to give your site its flavor and branding.

From there it gets tricky, but the short answer is whatever files the designer creates and uploads to a web server, plus the files to create them.

Is it being designed in Dreamweaver (or equivalent)? How about Muse (I know some people scoff, but it builds simple and attractive sites easily)? Or is it done completely online (such as a Wordpress or gomobi site)?

With the first, you should get a bunch of html, css, js, etc. files along with the media.

With Muse you should get the .MUSE file plus the media - but don't forget to ask about what plugins were used because you likely won't get those. The next designer working on the site will have to remove that functionality or get the plugin.

And for those built online? Well, even the designer doesn't usually have most of those files. You'll just get the base media files.

For Wordpress or other CMS systems, it can be more complex, but basically you can expect the same as one built online.

This probably isn't the only right answer, but it should be a good summary and a great place to start.

Steve Crook, Jr.

I am a simple creative professional that can get my Adobe suite and a few other creative tools to do what I want. Barely. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved