FORUMS: list search recent posts

Separating Videos on a Single Page to Not Appear in Same Lightbox

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff TocciSeparating Videos on a Single Page to Not Appear in Same Lightbox
by on Feb 6, 2015 at 8:48:56 pm

Hi,
I'm having an issue with defective "next/previous" arrows glitching out on a Lightbox Plug-In (Wordpress), and I just want to make it so the videos aren't linked when they appear on the same page. Basically, I'm trying to work-around the defective plug-in using html. There must be a way for the lightbox to "disassociate" two videos on the same page, no? If the lightbox plug-in only notices one video at a time, the next/previous arrows won't appear, and my issue would be fixed.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Separating Videos on a Single Page to Not Appear in Same Lightbox
by on Feb 7, 2015 at 5:08:52 pm

Hello,

Sorry - your description is a little vague to offer advice on. Can you post a link to the page in question and describe the issue slightly differently?

Any control can be tied to a specific video via javascript, so it's hard to say what your specific issue is without the example.

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jeff TocciRe: Separating Videos on a Single Page to Not Appear in Same Lightbox
by on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:38:03 pm

Sorry.

Here's the link demonstrating the issue:

http://www.digitalhandmadevideo.com/?project=oil-paint

If you click the first image, a video will come up. And since there are two videos on the page, if you hover on the right of the video, an arrow appears (which allows you to skip ahead to the next video). When you click that arrow, it works as it should. But, once you're on the second video, if you hover on the left side of the frame, and click that arrow (the "previous" arrow), the arrows (and the all-important "close" button) disappear. This makes it so that the only thing the user can do (to unfreeze the page) is refresh it.

I'm open to doing anything that will solve this problem. Although, I was thinking the easiest fix would be to somehow tell the webpage to "unlink" the two separate videos, so that the arrows never appear in the first place. When I only have one video on a page, the arrows don't exist. I have no need for users to use the arrows. It's not hard for someone to close the lightbox, then click the next image.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Separating Videos on a Single Page to Not Appear in Same Lightbox
by on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:30:13 am

Hello,

Well hmm. Ya - it's not that the plugin isn't working - I suspect that you have a configuration issue somewhere. A DOM inspection on the page shows that the event is attached to that left arrow node, and viewing the source that the plugin generates seems to show that it's all in order, but there is a lot going on in that page that could be a culprit.

So it's really a case at this point where you have to debug it. I would start by perhaps using the plugin for non-video items to see if it works with images, for example - so make a super-simple test page and implement it on a page with 3 images. if that works, then swap in your videos (but again - doing this outside this whole content - just a very simple test page). Then you can start to track down what the culprit is. Because this is wordpress, the declarations for this are a bit more obfuscated, so it's hard to just point at something and say a-ha.

You do have a javascript error in the plugin: "Uncaught ReferenceError: obj is not defined" - that fires every time it's loaded, and that could also be a culprit.

You might also want to try a different fancybox plugin - there's this one, for example:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/fancybox-for-wordpress/

You might have better luck there. Sorry to not have an answer for you, but there's just something way down in there that is mis-configured (so I don't think it's the plugin), but to resolve it, you'll have to dig a bit.

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jeff TocciRe: Separating Videos on a Single Page to Not Appear in Same Lightbox
by on Feb 11, 2015 at 7:35:31 pm

Thanks for the in-depth response!

Is there a way to trick the page into making the videos independent? I only have these problems when there are multiple videos on a page. When there is just one video, it works perfectly (because the arrows don't exist). I really have no need to cycle through videos quickly... It seems as though the lightbox searches and identifies multiple videos in the code. Is there a way of blocking the code (and adding some basic html) to segregate each line containing video? (Thus, eliminating the arrows).

Forgive my ignorance. I'm a video person, not a web developer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]