FORUMS: list search recent posts

Folder organization question

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James StreckerFolder organization question
by on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:06:49 pm

Hello. I hope someone here can help me. I've had no luck anywhere else.

I am building a website from scratch, writing the code myself in Notepad on my PC. I have seen plenty of websites where, to go to News for example, the URL would look like: "". However, when I try to do this, I have to type ".htm" or ".html" to the end of the URL, or else it doesn't work. I don't want people to have to type that when they want to go to a certain page on my website.

Does this have to do with folder organization? For instance, if I put everything for the News page in a folder called "news" and then typed "" would it then just pick up on the only HTML document in that folder and go from there? Because when I try that, it just tells me "you do not have permission to view this."

Very confused here.

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

James StreckerRe: Folder organization question
by on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:39:17 pm

Seems I have managed to solve my own problem once again.

For those with similar issues, you just have to name all your HTML documents "index.htm" and put them in different folders. For example, I would create a folder called "news" and call the News page "index.htm" and place it in that folder. Then the browser will know to look for an "index" file when typing "".

James Strecker
JTS Entertainment

Return to posts index

Tyler ChittickRe: Folder organization question
by on Oct 28, 2014 at 9:38:32 pm

Glad you solved your problem. However, I noticed that you're using notepad. A tool that I use that can be invaluable is Notepad++. It adds quite a bit of very useful features when doing coding of any kind. I would recommend you look in to that. The best part? It's free.

Tyler Chittick
Integration & Warehouse Manager
Technical Support
Maxx Digital

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegenRe: Folder organization question
by on Nov 2, 2014 at 8:25:43 am

Notepad++ is a great editor: I still use it for quick edits.

Although for any serious web dev work Netbeans is my favourite - open source and free as well. The Chrome Netbeans connector (live update in Chrome when you save your changes and vice versa with the Chrome inspector into Netbeans) is hard to beat, and it also supports Sass and Less out of the box. And a php debugger is built-in.

If you've worked with Notepad++, hitting in Netbeans enters "Notepad++ mode" for your active document.

Although I have to admit Netbeans is really an integrated development environment, rather than merely a code editor - it might be overkill for some.

I shudder at the thought of having to work in Windows Notepad - that would kill me (literally).

System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved