FORUMS: list search recent posts

Career Advice

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John GordanCareer Advice
by on Oct 4, 2014 at 3:56:26 am

Ive been in print design for the past 5 years and am urging to move into a new medium. I'm torn between motion/animation or web design. I want to know which one has a better job growth and which one has a better pay. I know learning both would be vital but want to master one or the other.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Career Advice
by on Oct 4, 2014 at 6:36:15 pm

It depends, I think (job growth) - certainly both have a lot of potential. Would you want to go work for somebody else or run your own business? If it's the latter, web might be a better option, as you can find lots of mom and pop style clients just about anywhere (there are a lot of bad designers out there who let people down all the time, unfortunately).

Motion and animation is certainly not going anywhere either, but if you wanted to go work in Hollywood on the big projects, you will find that it's very competitive and not someplace that a small fish gets very rich doing. But the work might be rewarding. Of course there's also lots of companies that make a great living doing advertising videos and stuff like that too.

So both have different potentials of job growth and career progression for sure - it just depends on which route you choose, and how much effort you want to put into growing a new set of skills!

Hope that helps a bit?

Return to posts index

Simon GreenRe: Career Advice
by on Apr 25, 2015 at 4:16:19 pm

I'd echo what the other reply said. If you want to be more of an entrepreneur, I would go the web design route, and look for local businesses to work with. You can, however, use freelancer websites like Elance, oDesk, for example, to apply to jobs in either the web design or motion graphics area. Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Carmel MillerRe: Career Advice
by on May 6, 2015 at 1:01:42 pm

I also agree with the opinion that both the fields has a lot of potential and it ultimately depends on what you are more passionate about. I would however suggest you to take up website designing as I see more growth in that field. There has been an avalanche of changes that have taken place in this industry and the scope of growth is more. Also, with the growing popularity of mobile-optimized websites the demand for web designers is also growing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved