FORUMS: list search recent posts

.mp4 in HTML5 incorrect dynamic range mapping on nVidia cards

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé.mp4 in HTML5 incorrect dynamic range mapping on nVidia cards
by on Aug 15, 2014 at 1:12:18 am

Compressed videos for HTML5 video tag pages and provided .mp4, .webm, and .ogv versions. On PC browsers with nVidia cards, the .mp4 is washed out due to incorrect mapping of the dynamic range (the file appears correct when viewed through WMP). This can be remedied by changing the dynamic range in the nVidia control panel from the default of limited to full range. However, that's not a solution for a developer since you can't put a notice on your site with a list of instructions for your end user to change to view your site correctly. Is there a code fix or workaround?

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: .mp4 in HTML5 incorrect dynamic range mapping on nVidia cards
by on Aug 15, 2014 at 2:11:07 am

hello,

there is no code fix - it entirely is up to how you render out and compress the mp4. not sure why you're having that issue specifically, but that is the part of the process that you'll have to focus your efforts on.

sorry to not have a better answer for you!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Brad BusséRe: .mp4 in HTML5 incorrect dynamic range mapping on nVidia cards
by on Aug 15, 2014 at 3:46:31 am

No, it's not how I'm rendering and compressing. The mp4 file plays properly in QT, WMP, VLC, etc. as well as in browsers on Macs with AMD GPUs. It's only when viewed in browsers on an nVidia GPU that it gets mapped improperly (.webm and .ogv versions of the videos map properly). It's a lack of mapping between 16-235 and 0-255. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Is it not possible to apply a 3D LUT within code?

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegenRe: .mp4 in HTML5 incorrect dynamic range mapping on nVidia cards
by on Aug 17, 2014 at 4:11:35 am

Even if you could apply a 3D LUT through code, how would you check in javascript which video card is installed?

This opens a can of worms. I would suggest that you point this out to Nvidia, since their drivers cause the issue.

If it is a real problem, you could always add a small warning telling Nvidia users to change those settings in their driver preferences. And as always: you may be able to tell the difference, but I suspect 99 out of 100 users will not notice the reduced image quality.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: .mp4 in HTML5 incorrect dynamic range mapping on nVidia cards
by on Aug 17, 2014 at 7:53:58 pm

[Brad Bussé] " Is it not possible to apply a 3D LUT within code?"

nope - you really do have to revisit the compression stages. if you have to change a video card setting to make it look nice, then it's going to be there and not in the html code that just plays what you give it.

(and asking users to change their video card settings to watch your video is extremely user-unfriendly and pointless, really)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]