FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add the possibility to download a pdf file

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aldo MattanaAdd the possibility to download a pdf file
by on Jan 14, 2014 at 11:57:57 am

Hi all, I have written recently and I've read many posts in this forum who have taught me a lot.
Now I would like to ask for your help to do a simple thing but I can not figure out how to do it.

I would like to add in a web page, the option to download a pdf file.
Currently I have added the pdf file on the website and if you load the URL, the page pdf opens but does not ask me if I want to save it to disk.

I have read that one way would be to compress the pdf in a zip file and insert the link into the web page: this is really the only way?
Can you help me?

I hope this question is not too trivial for you.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Add the possibility to download a pdf file
by on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:04:47 am

Hey Aldo,

I would not advice the zip option as most corporate firewalls won't allow that to happen.

However, if you are able to open the pdf file, then the browser pdf reader should give the option for the user to save it - normally it is a small disk item either at the top right or floating at the bottom left.

Most web savvy people would right-click the link and do a save as, rather than open the file.

One alternative suggestion, which may help on your CRM too is to ask the user a few personal details, such as name, organisation and email address in return for you emailing them the pdf. You should be able to automate this and it is a great way to capture data. Just don't misuse the data, so make sure that you following the data protection laws where-ever you are based.

All the Best

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid

Return to posts index

Aldo MattanaRe: Add the possibility to download a pdf file
by on Jan 15, 2014 at 2:45:18 pm

Hello Mads,
I knew the method of "save as", our problem is that some of our customers do not know it ...
When those customers (inexperienced) press the link to a pdf large file, their PC takes a bit of time to download and open the first page, that's when they think there is a problem and do not wait ...
But when pressed on the link zip they see immediately that something happens and they remain the most peaceful: D

At this point I think I'll put the two links next to each other and add a brief explanation: "please wait loading the pdf file and then use the command."

I thank you very much for your answer!

(now I'm going to understand why the forum is not notified me immediately for your reply. I've indicated to send me an instant message for all replies to my post ..."E-Mail me when someone responds=Entire Thread")

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Add the possibility to download a pdf file
by on Jan 18, 2014 at 6:10:49 pm

you can do it with a scripting language like php very easily - here's a brief tutorial...

then you could just add a parameter to the php script to take a file name and you can have one script serve up multiple files...just be careful to not just take any path to download, or else somebody could just put in a path to a system file and get a copy of that too. not good.

hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved