FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wordpress tutorials

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GibsonWordpress tutorials
by on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:14:29 pm

Can anyone recommend a solid, informative Wordpress tutorial for beginners? I guess that involves picking up HTML, CSS, etc as well.

I've learned a ton from the tutorials here on FCPX, AE, and others

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Wordpress tutorials
by on Aug 19, 2013 at 10:31:55 pm

well - ya - learning css and html would be something easier done outside of wordpress docs, but if you want to focus on wordpress and its functionality, have you tried their docs?

they are quite through and good, imho, and you can learn a lot there...

(how people learn varies, so it's hard to recommend a single solution, but their stuff is a pretty good start)

Return to posts index

Michael GibsonRe: Wordpress tutorials
by on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:07:17 pm

Thanks for the info. Wordpress is my focus, since it seems to be what everyone is using.

I will def read up the info on their site.

I'm really looking for video tutorials like the ones on here, can you recommend any video tutorials regarding HTML and CSS?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Wordpress tutorials
by on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:17:34 pm

hmm - i really don't know of a lot of video tutorials for html/css, just because what you're learning is how to write those types of cases, video can be a rough way to learn, because ultimately you'll learn by creating the content...

that said, (a good training resource) has some:

but they are somewhat focused on specific types of things. but again, different people learn differently, however i think you'll find that video tutorials for fx/ae/video/etc. work much better than for ones where you're writing code...that said, give them a shot!

hope that helps...

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegenRe: Wordpress tutorials
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:36:45 pm

Before focusing on Wordpress templating, learn both html and css. Then learn the basics of php. It might also be a good idea to familiarize yourself with a couple of html/css frameworks like Foundation and Bootstrap.

Oh, and it will not hurt to teach yourself the basics of Javascript and jQuery.

Then continue on to Wordpress. Wordpress is built on html, css, Javascript, and php.

For reference books, might I suggest the SitePoint range? Nothing published past the last two year range.

As for an editor to work in: avoid Dreamweaver, and spend some time learning one of the freely downloadable NetBeans, Aptana, Komodo Edit, etc.

System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved