FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mobile video content not playing on phone.

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Dulfer
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:53:14 am

For our non-profit projects, I now have figured out and coded our sites to handle short videos we host ourselves (not via youtube or vimeo). I also exported the video as a .3gp format for mobile phones.

With our websites, I now have a separate page for mobile access, without all navigation stuff, headers and footers etc. http://czechfriends.org/embed/m-ww.php

The idea is that through Beetagg or QR codes, visitors connect directly to these pages and get the video directly and full-screen on their phone with auto-start as well. It works through the link on a PC, but if I access the page through my phone, it only shows the alternate text "your browser does not recognize the video format.....etc". However, if I copy the same file from PC into the phone it will p[lay normally so the phone players installed recognize the format???

The code I use:

Video is available in all five mentioned formats. Video types are defined and added in all .htaccess files and to be safe in css as well. It works in firefoxs on my pc, but not on a phone. Any idea?

Asus P8Z68-V Pro gen 3; i7-2600k; 16 GB RAM, ASUS-NVIDIA GTX 570, 240 GB SSD as OS and 1 TB WD as data drive, Coolmaster Silencio 550 silent case (I love it). Adobe Production Premiere CS 6

Return to posts index

Clifford Steinberg
Re: Mobile video content not playing on phone.
on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:06:03 pm

I see what you mean. It played on Firefox and Chrome, but not on iPod Touch. I think iOS devices only look at the first file in the video tag, so maybe it doesn't play because the .mp4 isn't listed first?

Or possibly if the video file itself has a resolution greater than 640x360 or some other encoding issue.

For iOS devices, here is a helpful link :
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2224/_index.html

I've been playing around with HTML5 and made this test page which seems to work on all platforms I've tested so far:
http://rentcom.com/HTML5/topicselection.html

Cliff Steinberg
Rent Com, Inc.
http://www.rentcom.com
Chicago

Return to posts index

Robert Dulfer
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:07:31 pm

I put the .3gp first on this page, because most mobile phones are supposed to support 3gp. For normal desktop browser use, the mp4 comes first, because IE has problems if mp4 is not first. Other browsers ignore the format they cannot play until they come to a format they can handle or - as do the mobile devices - come to the alternate text "your browser does not support tag or format". I made a second page with mp4 first, but at least my phone still no dice.

The video is about 2 Mb in size, H264 - Mpeg4 AVC with resolution 320x240, frame rate 16 fps, bit rate around 1 mbps.

I think there may be another problem here. When I check one youtube video I could play on my mobile, I noticed that it did not have a http:// address but an rtsp:// URL. Quick check showed that rtsp has something to do with streaming live video, so maybe that is part of the problem.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro gen 3; i7-2600k; 16 GB RAM, ASUS-NVIDIA GTX 570, 240 GB SSD as OS and 1 TB WD as data drive, Coolmaster Silencio 550 silent case (I love it). Adobe Production Premiere CS 6

Return to posts index

Robert Dulfer
on Nov 2, 2012 at 7:01:46 pm

Just learned it works on a blackberry several years old. Since I did not ask my son earlier to try it, don't know if this was working all the time, or just the latest update in the css and htaccess files or the newer version of the video with different export settings. Whatever.

All the necessary AddType mime for video were there, but I added a few extra. Maybe the 4 year old Nokia 5800 xpressmusic and the same age E52 are just too old or I have wrong settings, don't know. However, if I cannot get a video playing on my phone, chances are big my target group will not either, so we'll keep looking for a clean way to handle this.

Return to posts index

Baytech Webdesign
on Nov 26, 2012 at 10:25:43 am

We looked at a number of different solutions, for example, Http Live Streaming (HLS) which is used to stream BBC media to other platforms. Unfortunately, HLS isn't supported on Android OS versions prior to Honeycomb.

In the end, Flash was still the best choice of media format for us to use. And the only practical technology for us to play this format back on Android is Adobe Air.

Baytech Web Design
Top Web Design and Developement Firm

Return to posts index

Jonas Marsh
on Jan 3, 2013 at 8:19:42 am

I'm an android user and FLASH is whats on my mobile phone. I didn't try others since I'm cool with it.

Life as we know it is full of surprises. Better to color your world with art.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]