FORUMS: list search recent posts

hosting for videos

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Dulferhosting for videos
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:00:28 pm

We are doing our own webdesign and have some simple websites, all dynamic php-css without javascript. Hosting we have on a paid small package with 1,2 GB disk space and 40 GB bandwidth. Up till now, we do not use any SQL or other resource-eating activities. Our sites use about 45 Mb space, so we have a lot left on our disk space.

Question. We will have about 10 very short videos (1-3 minutes) for our websites. Not the highest quality needed. We don't expect major traffic going through. Anybody any experience with hosting for video's? Probably our hosting package is too small to handle this?? So either a larger package or a third party solution, like amazon S3. Any suggestions.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro gen 3; i7-2600k; 16 GB RAM, ASUS-NVIDIA GTX 570, 240 GB SSD as OS and 1 TB WD as data drive, Coolmaster Silencio 550 silent case (I love it). Adobe Production Premiere CS 6

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: hosting for videos
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:06:33 pm

hello...

you'd have to do the math to determine if your bandwidth was enough - without knowing the resolution on the videos or the compression format, it's hard to say, but you can know that there pretty easily. so let's assume each video is 10mb (for the sake of discussion). let's also assume that each visitor to your site watches all 10 videos from start to finish. not as likely, but it helps with the worse-case scenario.

that means that each visitor to your site will take up 100mb of your bandwidth, so you'd be able to have 400 visitors a month on your current plan. that of course doesn't include other graphics, text, any email y'all get, etc...but that gives you an idea as to what you can handle. of course if your videos are 5mb and in reality most people might watch 2-3 per visit, you can get a lot more traffic in there.

so at that point it becomes a question as to whether or not you feel your provider has a good enough connection to support this. most these days do, but again that's hard for us to answer. but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, i would say...

does that help?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Robert DulferRe: hosting for videos
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:41:41 pm

Yes, that helps. Probably the best is to start with hosting some video's on our pages and see how it goes. Now I have to figure out as well what the best settings are to keep the file size small. I must be putting my setting too high because a 47 second sequence ended up in Flash as a 60 Mb .flv file; choosing H264 I ended up with a 140 Mb .MP4 file. Back to running through tutorials again.

Asus P8Z68-V Pro gen 3; i7-2600k; 16 GB RAM, ASUS-NVIDIA GTX 570, 240 GB SSD as OS and 1 TB WD as data drive, Coolmaster Silencio 550 silent case (I love it). Adobe Production Premiere CS 6

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: hosting for videos
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 9:10:22 pm

hello...

you can also consider html5 video embeds, which allow you to use other types of video that keep the file much smaller. search this forum for html5 video and you'll see some discussions on it...

otherwise, ya...getting the right settings, etc. takes some practice to get the web videos small enough...

good luck!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Robert DulferRe: hosting for videos
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:35:35 am

I started to look into the html5 video stuff and also the rest of html5. It is time to clean up and update our websites anyway, might as well do it good.

I uploaded two videos to our websites already in testing the hosting and embedding effects. These are simple videos for our museum, not the videos I am working on for the project. I used the tag to embed them, and have several formats of the videos so that they will play across all browsers.

My remaining problem now is how to make those videos playing on mobile phones. I have one webpage that is not within the page navigation of the site but is designed to be accessed by mobile phones. It is coded to handle all video formats and the first is a .3gp format especially for mobile phones.

Link: http://czechfriends.org/embed/m-ww.php I have written out the URL so you can try it on your phone as well. I tried with two Nokia smart phones, but they do not play the video, only display the alternative text "your browser does not support ..." . The video does play without problem on the phone when copied there through directly from the PC, so the players are there and working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]